Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY Supercapacitor Based USB 5 minutes fast Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kedar264

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
A 2.7 v 500 farad supercapacitor can be charged in 5 minutes, if provided with 3A charging current,after that charging cell phone for 30 to 50% battery level is possible.
The next level is then to step up the voltage upto 5 volts with minimum 500 ma for usable applications
To make use of supercapacitor at its best i found power management solutions ic from linear technology "LTC 3108 & LTC 3105", which can work with 20 mv input!!!
Here's my video ,check out and let me know your better suggestions.
https://youtu.be/6UqNsCfb_zI

You must use a DC-boost converter to increase the voltage (since capacitor will give 2.7 maximum). There are very easy circuits (just with a transistor, a comparator, an inductor and a capacitor) which switching the mosfet and charging the inductor will generate a higher output voltage. That doesn't mean free energy, although these circuits are very efficient the output power will be (ideally) equal than the input power, so if the voltage increased then the current would have.

But the question is, what driver circuit could you supply with such a low voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.