Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY ESR Meter and Capacitance meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now the Russian CapaciMeter 1.01 works great. I was able to make a PCB from his schematics and it worked great 1st try. This was the 1st and only PCB I ever made. I just couldn't believe that old board solder problem could be cause of new board that worked fine until 6 month's later to be problem. I have attached the zip file.

Attachments

• capacimeter-1.01.zip
    122.2 KB · Views: 200

Congratulations! Just one thing, AFAIK, that design is not Russian, it's American :smile: Here is the link to author's page: Capacimeter
I was going to build the same device,too, but I changed my mind after I saw posts on some forum from guys who made it - although it works OK, that meter has very low resolution (0,1 Ohm), which is just not enough for me... So I made another one from Russian site **broken link removed** (I do speak Russian, so it wasn't a problem for me). It has resolution of 0.001-0,002 Ohm and range from 1 to 150 000 mkF, and can measure caps even without desoldering them.
I've designed my own PCB, if you want to try it, here are some photos VRTP -> ESR

---------- Post added at 05:18 ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 ----------

Hi!
Can somebody please tell me the last information about the project of R2-D2 (I don't understand Russian, nor google-translate help much):
1) What are a) Measurement type that instrument can handle (L, C, F...);
b) Ranges; c) Maximal resolutions for each mode (especially mΩ's); d) Accuracies.
2) Can it measure internal resistance of batteries?
3) Can it measure parasitic capacitance of an inductor?

Do you know is it possible to order programmed PIC from author (and eventually other critical components) from author
and for what price?
1. The device **broken link removed** you asked about can measure:
-non-electrolitic capacitors from 0 to about 4mkF (with latest modifications - up to 100 mkF), resolution 0.01 pf or better (depends on range), very precise (even better than his famous "grandfather" from AADE ).
-Inductors from 0,03 mkH and up (limit is unknown as of yet). It used modified algorithm, which calculates parasitic capacitance of inductor under test, and takes it into account, so shown result will be precise. But so far, only actual Inductance is shown in results, may be soon it will show capacitance, too (in newer firmware).
-Capacitance and ESR of electrolitic capactors from 0,01 mkF up to 600 000 mkF, ESR and R up to 100 Ohms, resolution 0.01 Ohm.
-Frequency in two modes ("LowF" - up to 80 MHz), and ("HighF" - depends only on prescaler you can find, can be up to 9,9GHz).
Devider ratio in prescaler mode is programmable up to 500.
2. May be possible, but nobody tried that yet, so it is impossible to say.
It is a very nice meter, but possibilities are still relatively unknown as that is not a commercial product, everybody makes it using different components. So, better components you use - better results you'll get.
Even base schematics is different - apart from one offered by the author in the article, there are at least 3 different modifications (including my own - V3 ;-) ) inside the archive file. http://vrtp.ru/screenshots/2484_ESR_LCRF.zip
The main difference - those modifications allow to change modes by software (by pressing "mode" multifunction key), without any other manual switches... And you can change setting, make ajusments by using bult-in firmware Setup options.

Firmware is free, you can program the chip yourself, if you have a PICKIT2 programmer or you can make a very simple one yourself. There are a lot of them on Internet. Here is a very simple one, for example : **broken link removed**
Parts for projects I ordered from Digikey.com, you can buy them from another suppliers as well.

Hi Ruslan_Windrivers

Do you by chance know how to view the PCB Lower/Upper and print to make without having to purchase a version? Is there a parts list?

If it's that much better in resolution I'd like to look at giving it a try to build.

Thanks
Bob

Hi all!
I'm not 100% sure, what do you mean by "PCB Lower/Upper"? You can use free versions of the software to view and print out the schematics and PCB layout from sPlan and Sprint-Layout That will be enough to make our own PCB at home using well-known "laser printer and ironing" technology.
But you'll need full versions of the software, if you would like to make some changes in PCB layouts and schematics, though.
I didn't have a parts list as I never really needed one. (I was using mostly parts I already had at home, bought only few missing parts).
If you're interested, I can help and guide you (in this thread or by e-mails).

I was talking about the schematics and PCB layout, but Sprint does not allow printing is why I asked. I downloaded it yesterday and it would not allow yours to be printed with out full version. I'll take a look at sPlan.

I bought the photo etching setup. Doesn't use ironing. I don't know enough to make changes or make own PCB yet.

As long as the parts are listed I might be able to get list. Thanks. I know I'll need all the help I can get once I get in to this.

Hi Ruslan_Windrivers,

sPlan viewer only gives the schematics. I don't see how to get PCB layout.

Thanks

Sorry for delayed answer... To print out the PCB, you'll need **broken link removed** free PCB viewer. It located at the bottom of the main page Sprint-Layout
I just downloaded it and checked just in case, it works. As a demo version, it has only 2 options available - to setup printer and print the PCB, nothing else. Send me a PM with your e-mail, I will send you pictures and all the files you'll need to assemble it.

In your V3 it has a SPL7 file and hex file. layout50 does not open it or see it. sPlan70_Viewer opens it but it's not PCB just schematics.

I must be totally doing something wrong.

BTW, what registered version of what software should I work on saving up for. I see so many of both Eagle, and Sprint. Thanks.

Sorry, I probably misunderstood you. I thought you were asking about GO's ESR meter.
Actually, I haven't yet made public my PCB design for R2-D2 meter mostly because it needed some finising touches, found errors corrections etc. That's why that package doesn't include PCB design, only schematics and firmware. Right now I'm making a new PCB for another case, but before I'll post it, I have to make sure first it is errors-free.
As for Eagle vs Sprint Layout it is totally up to you. You see, Eagle is more factory-manufacturing oriented package, with automatic PCB routing. It takes much more time to prepare PCB using Eagle, and takes more time to learn "how to".
Sprint Layout is the best for hobby projects as it is manual routing only, but very user-friendly, easy to use. You can create your own PCB after spending just mere minutes learning it. It is by default set to print out PCB layouts to use with laser printer for home-made boards. And many PCB manufacturers are taking SL5 files, if you want to make some factory-made boards. For example, Futurlec - PCB Manufacturing Service and PCB Production

Hi people, I am not the creator of this design but I did do some editing to tidy things up and to suit what I had in my junk box.
I was surprised to find it worked first go. FYI, a 10 ohm resistor gave 80% movement on the meter.
Best wishes , Ando.

ESR meter Edit by Ando.jpg Picture

PS: This can test in circuit and should give a good idea if a cap is good or bad.
It's simple and cheap to make ( didn't cost me anything ).
Seems to be limited to about 0.1 uF and above.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back