DIY Coil Winder

yovenim

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all.

I have decided to TRY and make my own coil winding machine as I intend to wind more coils in the future.

I wanted to ask for ideas on how to construct a decent winder. I looked on YouTube for inspiration but most winders I found were too basic for what I wanted.

The two main challenges I am looking at are-
Motor speed control, forward and reverse.
A system where a guide arm forces the wire along the bobbin and forces it to return back when it reaches the other end of the bobbin.

For the counting system, I could use electronic components but if I were to be very choosy I would like a CNC. version.

Any help and advice will be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
An internet search on coil winders brings up a few expensive store-bought models, and then a host of DIY photos with various features.

Fishing reels have a mechanism like you describe, an arm moving the line back and forth on the spindle.

Or lathes with a gear mechanism when you wish to make a custom bolt. It moves the bit a tiny distance each turn, automatically cutting evenly spaced threads in a rod.

thank you so much for your suggestion