Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY a Compact RC Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimicron

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good day~all,

I have made a compact RC switch circuit,which built around the LM358 comparator reacts to a 50Hz PWM signal with a pulse width of around 1-2ms. If the reference voltage ( at pin2 of LM358 ) fixed by the 10K oitebtuineter is lower than the filtered signal voltage (at pin 3 of IC1), the comparator output goes high, relay driver BC547 (T1) is switched on and the 5V relay (RL1) works. The 100K reistor ( R5) provides small hysteresis to prevent the comparator from responding to every minor wavering in the voltage on the non-inverting input (pin 2) of the comparator. The aim I bluit this circuit is to control the on/off of lighting on radio control projects.

6.2.2.png.3a0e6ef149afa67c6df370c77a95a16a.png

Well,Comparing with the above circuit,the only differences are that

1).The relay driver(T1) I used is BC547A instead of BC547. This is the BC547A PDF.

2).My circuit has a 20K pot and it will not work,I am having a hard time figuring out the pin 2 input,giving a negative voltage.

Can anyone here help me?

Best regards~

The circuit should work but the LM358 isn't very good when working from low voltages, using a real comparator would help.

The PWM amplitude will be halved by the divider of R1/R2 so if you are feeding a 5V PWM signal it will never go higher than 2.5V and for example, at 50% PWM ratio will only be 1.25V. Adjusting P1 sets the voltage at which the output at pin 1 should switch state, when the voltage at pin 3 goes higher than the voltage at pin 2, pin 1 should go high and turn the relay on.

I suspect your problem is you are using an op-amp that doesn't work very well at low voltages, you should really use a comparator instead as they are designed to switch abruptly instead of passing through a linear region.

Brian.

Hi,

The description is a bit confusing.
* I see nothing related to RC in your circuit.
* I see nothing related to PWM or 50Hz. I guess it will work with much higher frequency like 10kHz as well as DC input.

I miss an error description:
it will not work
What do you expect it to do? What does it do instead?

Negative voltage? I see no (need for) negative voltage.

Debug: report us the voltages at pins 1, 2, 3 of IC1
What´s the nominal relay coil current?

Improvement: Put a filter / stabilizing capacitor at pin2 of IC1.

Klaus

The input common mode range for this OpAmp is limited -

1657791552015.png

Then there is the possible phase inversion problem with the LM358 -

1657791885695.png

1657791921601.png

Audio guys report unless output loaded with 1 mA load or greater severe crossover distortion.
Translate DC issues when operated as a comparator, eg. non linear response under the right
conditions affect clean desired comparator operation. Maybe a better RRIO OpAmp should
be in the works for the design.....

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:

The circuit should work but the LM358 isn't very good when working from low voltages, using a real comparator would help.

The PWM amplitude will be halved by the divider of R1/R2 so if you are feeding a 5V PWM signal it will never go higher than 2.5V and for example, at 50% PWM ratio will only be 1.25V. Adjusting P1 sets the voltage at which the output at pin 1 should switch state, when the voltage at pin 3 goes higher than the voltage at pin 2, pin 1 should go high and turn the relay on.

I suspect your problem is you are using an op-amp that doesn't work very well at low voltages, you should really use a comparator instead as they are designed to switch abruptly instead of passing through a linear region.

Brian.
Thanks for your help, I figured out that it should be the BC547 that doesn't work well with more than 50mA.

Yes 50mA is getting up there for a BC547 if you don't have 3-5mA of base current, i.e. 1k drive.
--- Updated ---

The inputs of the LM358 can go to gnd ( -0.3V in fact ) but they cannot go near +Vcc as explained above ...

Status
Not open for further replies.