Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dither problem on fractional spur in PLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenfei

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone;
I have designed a PLL using ADF4156,a fractional N PLL.Output frequency is 1300MHz~1600MHz,PFD frequency is 30MHz,frequency step is 10kHz,loop width is 50kHz.
I found that in low noise mode, MOD=2999,there is fractional spur at 10kHz,20kHz,30kHz,.. offset with a level of about -47dBc. So, I set the PLL in low spur mode which means the dither is turned on.But in low spur mode ,the phase noise raised about 10 dB,while the spurs are still -47dBc! It looks like the dither has no impact on these fractional spur,why?
I changed the frequency step to 100kHz,So the spur appeared at 100kHz,200kHz...offset.
I changed the PFD frequency to 10MHz ,the spurs are not changed.
I changed the MOD from 2999 to 3000,I found the spur varied with FRAC.when FRAC is 1000 and 2000, there is a large spur appearing at ±5kHz offset (-35dBc).
all above trying are in low spur mode.
Is there anyone meet the similar problem?

Yep, fractional PLLs stink for spurs! It all comes under the law "there is no such thing as a free lunch".

I am not familiar with the dither function on that chip, but I suspect it is cleaning up other spurs. You just have a virtual comparison frequency spur that is much closer to the carrier than you would have thought, because of the fractionality. I don't think there is any way to get rid of it, other than carefully choosing the math so those fractions don't show up, or using dual plls, etc.

the ADF4156 datasheet said that if dither is turned on,then the fractional spurs will act like random noise .there will only be integer boundary spurs(IBS).

But I don't think the spur is IBS,because they vary with the freq step.

Can anyone explain the IBS?

Status
Not open for further replies.