Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Distros that maintain up-to-date packages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun25

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've often run Debian - if I open a fresh install and run Debsecan, I see CVE's posted 10+ years ago for software that should've been updated almost just as long ago. The Debian people say they prefer "stability" and "thorough package testing" before deployment - well, I've seen language change in my life, but I'm surprised to see that "stable" now means "full of Arbitrary Code Execution vulnerabilities."

Are there any distributions with a sincere focus on security? Up-to-date packages and reproducible builds?

I'm not sure why your Debian gets so far out of date. I use Kubuntu and get almost daily updates and every six months a complete new up to date version with all the updates incorporated into it. Even the LTS (Long Term Support) versions are re-released to include all fixes and improvements to date every few months.

Brian.

I've been running Parrot Linux for about two years now as my main OS. It's Debian based and poised as a security/privacy distro, which really means just equates to shipping with development oriented tools and is constantly updated. It uses a rolling release and maintains its own APT repository which is federated and pretty good about refusing the addition of sketchy packages (flatpack), and it can run on pretty old hardware. Perfect for if you have some old Optiplex MoBos lying around that still have DB9 ports :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back