Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Display temperature on I2C LCD using DS18B20

Status
Not open for further replies.

a.sparrow

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,
I am a newbie programmer and I am hoping that someone could guide me on the right path to completing this project.
I am using a PIC24HJ64GP502 chip to display the current temperature on an 20X4 I2C LCD screen. The temperature sensor I am using is a DS18B20 and I will be using a 5V power supply with a 4.7k ohm resistor. I am having trouble on how to approach this project. So far, I have used functions found in the libraries from the sensor and the lcd to print out the temperature. I have not run this on the actual board yet. I am not sure if the configuration part of the lcd is correct. I got it from a sample code project from the LCD's website. If anyone could help me find a tutorial on I2C initialization/configuration that would be helpful. I want to know if by using these functions, will I be able to print it onto the LCD.
Also, do I need to convert the temperature values into characters, in order to see it on the screen? I saw that implementation and I am not sure if it is necessary. Thank you in advance!

Code:
#include<OneWire.h> 
#include<DallasTemperature.h> // temperature sensor
#include<LiquidCrystal_I2C.h> // lcd screen

// Data wire is plugged into pin 4 on the Pic
#define ONE_WIRE_BUS 4

// Setup a oneWire instance to communicate with any OneWire devices
OneWire oneWire(ONE_WIRE_BUS); 

int DS18S20_Pin = 4; //DS18S20 Signal pin on analog 2 (pin4)
OneWire ds(DS18S20_Pin); 

DallasTemperature sensors(&oneWire); // Pass our oneWire reference to Dallas Temperature. 

// http://www.hacktronics.com/Tutorials/arduino-1-wire-address-finder.html
// Need to use the above url to determine the address of our 1-Wire temp sensor! Below has incorrect addresses. 
DeviceAddress insideThermometer = { 0x28, 0x94, 0xE2, 0xDF, 0x02, 0x00, 0x00, 0xFE };

#define BACKLIGHT_PIN     13  [COLOR="#FF0000"]// I am only using VCC, GND, SCL, and SDA pins. Should I be using other pins as well? [/COLOR]

LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x38);  // Set the LCD I2C address

//LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x38, BACKLIGHT_PIN, POSITIVE);  // Set the LCD I2C address

// Creat a set of new characters
const uint8_t charBitmap[][8] = {
   { 0xc, 0x12, 0x12, 0xc, 0, 0, 0, 0 },
   { 0x6, 0x9, 0x9, 0x6, 0, 0, 0, 0 },
   { 0x0, 0x6, 0x9, 0x9, 0x6, 0, 0, 0x0 },
   { 0x0, 0xc, 0x12, 0x12, 0xc, 0, 0, 0x0 },
   { 0x0, 0x0, 0xc, 0x12, 0x12, 0xc, 0, 0x0 },
   { 0x0, 0x0, 0x6, 0x9, 0x9, 0x6, 0, 0x0 },
   { 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x6, 0x9, 0x9, 0x6, 0x0 },
   { 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0xc, 0x12, 0x12, 0xc, 0x0 }

};

void setup(void)
{
  //pinMode(backLight, OUTPUT);
  //digitalWrite(backLight, HIGH); // turn backlight on. Replace 'HIGH' with 'LOW' to turn it off.
  lcd.begin(20, 4);              // rows, columns for a 20x4 LCD
  lcd.clear();                   // start with a blank screen
  lcd.setCursor(0,0);            // set cursor to column 0, row 0 (upper left hand corner)

Serial.begin(9600); // start serial port
  Serial.println("DS18B20 Demo");
  sensors.begin();
  sensors.setResolution(insideThermometer, 10); //sensor precision is 10 bits (can be 9,10,11,or 12 bits)

delay(2000);
  lcd.print("Requesting temperature..."); 
  sensors.requestTemperatures(); // command to get the temperatures
  lcd.print("COMPLETE");

}

void loop(void)
{ 
  //Print the temperature
  lcd.clear();
  lcd.setCursor(0,0);
  lcd.print("Current Temperature is: "); 
  lcd.setCursor(0,1); // set cursor at the second row on the lcd. 
  lcd.print(sensors.getTempC(0)); 
  lcd.print(" °C  "); // there will be a small space between the two temperature readings
  lcd.print(sensors.getTempF(0)); 
  lcd.print(" °F");
  delay(1000);
}

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.