Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Display German in dot-matrix LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

eepty

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am writing the software in C and I have managed to display English sentence in a 32x122 dots LCD. I written a LCD driver and imported a font table generated from the "Font and Bitmap Generator". Therefore the code to display a sentence is like

Code C - [expand]
char *font_type;
font_type = font_english;
display("A sentence", font_type );

As the compiler know 'A' is equal to 0x41, so my driver will find index 0x41 in the English font table and set the corresponding dots.

However how can I display a German sentence? First, is there any font file for German like the <Arial> in English so that I can import to something like the "Font and Bitmap Generator" to generate a font table.

Second, as I do not know German, is that each letter in German can refer to a letter in English? Therefore I still can type

Code C - [expand]
font_type = font_german;
display("A sentence", font_type );

to display it in German?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

You need arrange sequence of fonts dot matrix data as German fonts do. Or you need to manipulate your ASCII value of each letter in display.

Many languages use the same alphabet with a few additional characters required for umlaut or accents. The extended ASCII set includes those characters https://www.asciitable.com/ You don't need a separate character set for each language. Even without the extra characters there are ways of writing without them e.g. gross instead of groβ although there are German speakers on this forum who I am sure can do a better job than my schoolboy German.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.