Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

display (16*2) is fading, wintek lcd WM-C1602M-1GNNB

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiesta

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
lcd WM-C1602M-1GNNB
wintek taiwan

Dear members,

I did buy a used lawnrobot (it works o.k), only the display is fading, i did clean the elastomers with alcohol, this did help a lot, but it still looks like this:

display robomow.JPG

The bottom row is almost good, it/the letters does look so soft because i did take the picture with a flash light.

Can some one contribute to this subject.

I thank you for the help.

greetings
fiesta
holland

Prolonged exposure to direct sunlight can certainly permanently degraded several components of the LCD, including the polarizing filter and clouding of some layers.

LCDs are also very susceptible to changes in temperature, especially to prolonged exposure to high temperatures found in direct sunlight.

Such prolonged exposures to high temperatures can also permanently degrade various components of the LCD screen.

My advice would be to replace the LCD screen, it appears to be a standard 16x2 HD44780 compatible, and utilize a reflective cover which can be flipped up for viewing, this would certainly minimize the direct exposure to sunlight and may reduce the devices temperature.

BigDog

Dear Big Dog and others,

Thanks for the contribution, i would like to mention that this display is behind a glass, build in a house for controlling the robot, on distance from uv etc.

It looks like this:

lcd display werkend.JPG .

I did already buy another display, but physically it does not match (i found out after buying), the first pin to soler is on a different distance from the edge, it looks like this:

display nieuw past niet.JPG

So, that was a bit disappointing, also soldering is a bit risky/have not done it before. It looks like cleaning the elastomers is working (it is the cause), but till now not completely resolving this isssue.

Replacing elastomers would be much more convenient for me, but i do not know the rationale to do so/are these uniform elastomers for lcd 16*2 displays?

greetings
fiesta
holland

Desoldering and replacing the entire unit is certainly less risky, than attempting to replace various components of the LCD.

You need some small amount of solder, soldering iron, solder wick and a solder sucker, none of which are too terribly expensive.

There are numerous how-to videos available online which demonstrate desoldering techniques.

As far as locating a replacement, you'll need to take some key measurements of the original unit and refer to the datasheet of a potential replacement unit before purchasing. You can also locate the datasheet of the original unit and obtain the dimensions and pin out from it.

Is the part number, WM-C1602M-1GNNB, from the original unit or the replacement?

The original LCD may have been degraded by prolonged exposures to high temperatures as the cover may have filter much of the harmful rays (UV).

The downside is the IR components of the sunlight were probably not filtered and the temperature of the LCD may have reached high levels during operation.

You might want to limit the devices operation to early mornings or late afternoons to minimize the operating temperature.

BigDog

hello Big dog and others,

The mentioned display from wintek/WM-C1602M-1GNNB, is the Original display, so not the new one.

The new display solder points, are 3 mm more to the left, starting from the edge (see picture previous post).
So, perhaps i can bow the existing header pins 3mm, after removing the plastic black horizontal bridge just below the pcb display.
Does anybody have some experience with this, can it be done this bowing.
If possible, i can use the existing header, which is more convenient for me because in that case i do not have to de/solder the pins on the back-side of the pcb controller (it involves a risk to desolder the pins on the pcb on the controller board).

But, as told before, I do not have any experience on this, it is just how it looks like to me without any experience.

greetings
fiesta
holland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back