Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Disk rotation counter for Watt hour meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

amila133

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there!
Can you give me an idea how to count the disk rotation of a kilowatt hour meter?
Need a photo sensor and a small PIC that can be mounted inside the meter case.
I need to have also a real time clock and program to store the "time of use" of electric energy.

Any idea? Thanks...

Bore a hole on the disk and put photo sensor aligned to it.

Thanks...
I will try.
If any one has different ideas pls tell me.

amila133 said:
Thanks...
I will try.
If any one has different ideas pls tell me.

If it is an electronic meter we can count the pulse and the number of pulse divided by meter constant u will get the exact unit of consumption.

If the wattmeter belongs the power company there is no way to make an hole, insert sensors etc inside the meter.
If the pocation is dark, try to detect the difference in reflection as the disk is turning ( here the disk is 90 % black and 10 % red ) , but be careful about the daylight.

Mandi

penoy_balut said:

Don't do that! I think, the disk is a crucial element in the measuring setup. If you bore a hole in it you will probably destroy the accuracy of the measurement. I'm not an expert but that's what I remember from classes. Anyone else?

Slorn
--
Dwengo... gets you started with microcontrollers!

amila133 said:
Hi there!
Can you give me an idea how to count the disk rotation of a kilowatt hour meter?
Need a photo sensor and a small PIC that can be mounted inside the meter case.
I need to have also a real time clock and program to store the "time of use" of electric energy. Any idea? Thanks...
Are you planning a new project of an energy meter as per your mentioned idea or you are trying to modify an existing meter?

I want to do a modification for a existing system. It is not a electronic meter. Disk rotating watt hour meter. I want to sense the no of rotations?

amila133 said:
I want to do a modification for a existing system. It is not a electronic meter. Disk rotating watt hour meter. I want to sense the no of rotations?
Then reply from "penoy_balut" best suits your requirement. Cheers

Slorn said:
penoy_balut said:
Don't do that! I think, the disk is a crucial element in the measuring setup. If you bore a hole in it you will probably destroy the accuracy of the measurement. I'm not an expert but that's what I remember from classes. Anyone else?
Slorn
Slorn is absolutely right.
You can use a reflective sensor.
Regards

Z

paint an annular ring at the edge of the disk, with a small reflecting sticker at one location
have a light beam that could reflect light to sensor, every time reflective strip reaches that location.
it should serve your need

Please note that to use refletive technique, the Rotary Disk should be a Non reflective one where you can place a reflective tape or sticker. Or usually as we see the Disk will be alluminium and shining, and thus you may use reflective technique to detect opaque part by pasting a paper or a piece of an insulating tape. Cheers

A one millimeter hole in the disk edge then installed with IR LED emitter and transmitter from a discarded mouse works for me.
Tampering of power meters is illegal so buy a sub-meter for experimentation.

pranam77 said:
Please note that to use refletive technique, the Rotary Disk should be a Non reflective one where you can place a reflective tape or sticker. Or usually as we see the Disk will be aluminum and shining, and thus you may use reflective technique to detect opaque part by pasting a paper or a piece of an insulating tape. Cheers
that is what exactly made me say pant a annular ring and then put reflective sticker, the paint would be black

drilling hole makes disk unbalance

Hi there,

in order to count the disk rotation times tell me what is the most suitable?
1. Reflective sensor
2. IR led and transmitter pair

If I use IR pair I have problem because how should I mount IR led in the disk and How should I power it?

If you have pls give me Numbers of the above sensors.

Thanks

u can get a pair of IR LED & Receiver from an old Ball Mouse free of cost.
secondly u don't have to put the IR LED in the Disk.
just make a small cut on the disk such that the IR beam can pass through it

Hi,
Making cuts and holes on the disk may course to measurement errors. Am I correct?
So if any idea pls give me.
Thanks

amila133 said:
Hi there,
in order to count the disk rotation times tell me what is the most suitable?
1. Reflective sensor
2. IR led and transmitter pair
It all depends on your skill and knowledge in electronics and construction of the mechanism to fit the sensors. Any one of the mentioned above will work fine.

amila133 said:
If I use IR pair I have problem because how should I mount IR led in the disk and How should I power it?
Pratically there is no need to fit the disk with any led's. The IR led and the sensors are basically mounted across the disc so that the disc passes between the two. I couldnt get what ideas you have..but again, my last answer best suits here.

amila133 said:
If you have pls give me Numbers of the above sensors.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Cheers

amila133

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,
Optic sensor in the mouse is suitable for this work?
How should I implement it in order to count no of rotations

cheers

yeah with ball mouse IR sensors u can do that.

78_1259141939.jpg

other options are
1) hall effect sensor and magnet
2) reflector on disc with IR

better to use mouse sensors cheap ...

then count the number of pulses via external interrupt

don't forget to click on Helped me button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor