Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Discuss about PIC Programing Languages

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabri

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

There are several languages for Programing PIC micros(e.g. PICBasic,Assembly,C).
Please discuss about PIC programing languages and beneifits.
I think Assembly language is the powerful way but PIC Basic is simplest way.

Thanks.

Salam,

I think the powerful languge after Assembly is C
Because this language is portable, with some edit you can port your design from family to family...

But be sure you choose C compiler supports ANSI C

Bye

Hello Sabri,

This must be one of the most often asked questions, with no universal answer. It depends on what you want or need to do.

Please search the board and web - you will find a *lot* of such discussions.

Try here for a start:

or take a look at the PIC forum, but please search and read before asking specific questions:

http://forum.microchip.com/

Good luck,
FoxyRick.

Yes,Okay

I understand that Assembler is better for programming PIC micro.
How can i learn assembly for PICs ?
Please intruduce me weblink or PDF to learn that.
Thanks.

Hi,

I think a Google search with keyword "PIC+tutorial" will give you many results that you may need.

the best place for learning assembly for PICs that i have seen is http://www.winpicprog.co.uk

and in addition to that i suggest that you download the EPE PIC tutorial which came as a supplement in April 2003 May 2003 and June 2003 (3 parts)

EPE PIC Tutorial V2 – PART 1
**broken link removed**

EPE PIC Tutorial V2 – PART 2
**broken link removed**

EPE PIC Tutorial V2 – PART 3
**broken link removed**

Hi,
I'm working now a days on a project about harmonics and I was using pic16f877
So, I have to learn both assembly and c to be power info to manage although one was enough.

I would say PIC Basic is very good for beginners because as it says in the name its very basic and easy to learn and use. I am currently learning assembly, I have just downloaded the doc from the last post, looks very promising :D Are there any books anyone recommends?

Timmymna said:
I would say PIC Basic is very good for beginners because as it says in the name its very basic and easy to learn and use. I am currently learning assembly, I have just downloaded the doc from the last post, looks very promising :D Are there any books anyone recommends?

yes there are two books that i would recommend which are available for download in the ebooks section

The Quintessential PIC microcontroller

Easy Pic'n

use the search function in the ebooks section and download these books. in addition to this you should look at the list of recommended books in the University corner of Microchip's website.

Thanks for the help samcheetah, heading over there now :D

Are there any good EPE articles about CCS PIC C? ASM is good, but C too.

Hi

ya, I know you like assembly language but don't forget that PIC is a RISC microcontroller and if you want to write a good program and save your time
you should use a high level language.

I am falling Love in assembly too, but my love is sometimes unusable.

hi, the best programming language is C & program is CCS-C,
if you know any programming language before you can easilylearn C,
also ccs uses approximately 32 c coments, it is very simple...

hi

why CCS is better than PicBasic PRO?
is it easier or is it better?
please compare their.
i think they are the same & both of them is good.
thanks.

mtkee2003 said:
hi

why CCS is better than PicBasic PRO?
is it easier or is it better?
please compare their.
i think they are the same & both of them is good.
thanks.

CCS is a C compiler and PICBasic PRO is a Basic compiler. its like compairing apples with oranges :D

if you know C then choose CCS and if you know Basic then choose PICBasic PRO.

Pics are getting more sophisticated, assembly is ok for the low and midrange series, but the 16 bit dsPic and new 24 series have large amounts of program and data memory allowing more complex programs.
The pic30_tools are very nice to use. It is a port of the GCC compiler which is a very powerful and fully compliant C compiler.

hi "samcheetah"

it's clear that CCS is a C compiler and PICBasic PRO is a Basic compiler!!!!!!!!

but we are talking about their ability & flexibility.

for example we can campare size of HEX files that PBP & CCS build for similar programs or etc.

thanks

hi

in the picbasic we have PicBasicPRO, PROTON+ and etc.

all of this compilers use Basic language for programming PICs.
but what is the differences between this compilers?

good luck.

hi all
i think assemply is the shortest way between two points, is you are developing a simple application
C is the simplest way for complicated applications,
that's all
thanks

i am doing embedded design on a company now and am doing PIC wth PICBasic Pro version....

i think both of them have almost the same functionality so far... mayb it is just my own opinion...

wad can b done wth C can b done wth PICBasic Pro... mayb even faster (mayb it is the nature of the application we do)....

i hav use the CCS as well, i hav no prob in using the CCS as well .. emmm... i think i forgot which one i used when i write, bcos it is the flow of the prog matter more than the language used, as both of them is quite similar...

regards,
sp

Status
Not open for further replies.