Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Discharging a capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenndarvis

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
discharging a capacitor

I have an electronics board from an old vcr that I would like to use for an art project. I'm afraid of the capacitors, so is there a way to discharge them all at the same time? What if I submerged the board in water?

capacitor safe discharging multimeter

I can't think of a sensible way to do what you're suggesting. But if you want to discharge a big cap, just attach a resistor across it for a bit. Leaving the power off for a while will usually do it to.

If you're still worried, just probe a few with a multimeter.

discharging capacitors

Capacitors can't charge themselves and any charge they hold will leak away eventually even when nothing else is connected to them. When connected to a circuit board there are usually many paths for the charges to disappear down.

If it hasn't been switched on for more than a few hours it should be completely safe. Even the high voltage caps present in SMPSUs (if its a recent machine) have discharge resistors across them so they empty in a few minutes.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back