Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Directly soldered wire to board connection strategies for volume production

Status
Not open for further replies.

redreobingarden

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello! We are working on a product that has some wires directly soldered to a PCB. These are internal wires that never move and we have decided that we can save costs by omitting connectors.

I was wondering if there are any best practices on this. At this point I'm aware of only two ways of doing this:

1. Plated thru-hole on the PCB. Stripped+tinned wire goes in plated thru-hole, solder+soldering iron applied to make the joint.

2. Sufficiently large pad on PCB that can be covered in a layer of solder from either a wave-soldering or re-flow process. Operator then just has to place a stripped and tinned wire on the pre-soldered pad and hit it with a soldering iron.

It seems that if there is space available on the PCB, number 2 is the best option? Are there any other options that you guys have had experience with? Thanks!

Last edited:

#2 might be easier, but it's also makes it a lot easier to rip the pad off the board. I wouldn't do it without some kind of strain relief. You could drill a hole or two through the PCB and route the wire through them to add some strain relief.

And, some hot melt glue would help keeping the wires in place, in case they break at the solder point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back