Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Directional Coupler calculate directivity from S-Parameters (VNA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

izsurk

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

maybe I am asking a stupid question.
I have a *.s4p 4 port measurement performed with a 4 port VNA and now I'd like to know the directivity of my coupler FROM S-PARAMETERS. Can't find a single source telling me how. Am I missing out something obvious?

Thanks

directional_coupler.PNG

With respect to the figure you posted usualy the coupled port is represented close to the input while the reverse is the one near the output of the directional coupler. In any case from the S-parameter you can see (if Port 1=input, Port 2=output, Port 3=forward, Port4=reflected):

return loss of port "x" as Sxx
insertion loss as S21
Coupling factor as S31
Isolation S31-S41

Isolation is a positive number.
The network is reciprocal so Sxy = Sxy, for instance S21=S12

Furtermore the directional coupler is usually bidirectional, so you can exchange input <-> output and then forward <-> reflected. In this case:

return loss of port "x" as Sxx
insertion loss as S21
Coupling factor as S41
Isolation S41-S31

Sorry, i wrote isolation instead of directivity. By the day, isolation is simply S41

Hmm I am really confused. I had a quick look into trusty Pozar "Microwave Engineering", 4th edition, Chapter 7.1 "Basic Properties of Dividers and Douplers" : "Four-Port Networks (Directional Couplers)" p.323

"The directivity of a coupler generally cannot be measured directly ..."
See the section attached.

Unbenannt.PNG

The directional coupler explained in the Pozar's book is a three port: input, output and coupled, while the reflected is not accessible. In this case you cannot measure S41. Your figure, instead, refers to a bi-directional coupler where all 4 ports are accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back