Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Direct I/Q modulation or upconversion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sophiante

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Semiconductor manufacturers sometimes suggests circuit arhcitecture for their IC's. In the case of I-Q modulators one can see two approaches:

1. Direct conversion where the quadrature IC modulates a VCO on the output frequency.
2. An intermidiate frequency VCO in the range 50-250MHz is modulated and then upconverted to output frequency.

Number 1 is obviously much simpler (less filtering) - that is why I suspect it to have some serious drawbacks!

Is there a short answer to why these two approaches both are used?

Jan

First approach is direct but with some problems. it's main problem is that filter designing in RF is complicated (e.g. 14GHz in satellite Ku band communication) because you can't reach high Q factor.
Second approach is a little complicated (two level approach) but with many advantages, First of all, is standardization. IF standard frequency are 70MHz, 140MHz, .... so a manufacturers can design a generic Upconverter, Modulator, Filter, etc. Second you can reach higher Q factor than RF.
regards

Status
Not open for further replies.