Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diodes dc bias on rat race mixer

Status
Not open for further replies.

klp

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I would like to design a rat race mixer. do I need to dc bias the diodes?
and what is the topology of the bias circuits of two diodes?
777.PNG
888.PNG

Generally, diode mixers don't need DC bias (as diode detectors needs) because the diodes works as switches, where the switching signal is given by the LO.

Reactions: klp

klp

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Generally, diode mixers don't need DC bias (as diode detectors needs) because the diodes works as switches, where the switching signal is given by the LO.

Thank you for you answer, so how I can be sure the diodes will be in their non-linear region?

The diodes are opened (you can say biased) by the relative strong LO signal. The diodes works as switches, and to get the best linearity of the mixer, the transient state between ON and OFF should be very short. This is done increasing the level of the LO up to a maximum safe level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back