Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

diode voltage in junction

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharma46

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can we test junction voltage of a diode when no supply is given

No, you need to pass a reasonable current through the diode and measure the voltage drop.

A 'reasonable' amount of current depends upon the device characteristics - refer to the I/V curve in its data sheet.

Any multimeter which has the "Diode" test mode will have the capability to source a reasonable amount of current.

No, you need to pass a reasonable current through the diode and measure the voltage drop.

A 'reasonable' amount of current depends upon the device characteristics - refer to the I/V curve in its data sheet.

Actually, when you say 'a diode when no supply is given', I first took it you meant a diode component in your hand. If it's in circuit on a board, you have to be careful of the loading effects of other parallel circuitry spoiling your measurement. This includes the supply rails which often have a very low impedance when the circuit is powered off (depends on your PSU). Beware of this when you use a multimeter etc across a diode in circuit.

Mulitmeter has a diode test mode. That can be used. Or simply plug in the Power supply and a resistance in series to Diode.
Now, using multimeter you can measure the variation also.

Status
Not open for further replies.