Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diode rectification question

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebadtall

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, i have a 220/380v transformer.

if i use 1000v diode bridge i will have around 530vdc

my question is,if i use 1N5404 wich is 400v rated, my output is going to be 400 v without damaging the diodes?
thank you

No, the diode rating does not in any way change its operation, other than being the safe limit you can expose it to.

The 400V rated diode will still rectify the AC just the same as the 1000V rated diode, giving you 530Vdc. The diode might survive this, probably not for long though, or it might be destroyed instantly and possibly spectacularly.

Bang!!! POP!!!Poof!!!

If you put 530 volts across a diode rated for 400 volts, what do you think is going to happen????

At the risk of sounding patronizing, I'm a little concerned that if you think by putting 530 volts across a 400 volt diode, you'll get 400 volts out that you are missing some fundamental understanding and shouldn't be messing around with 530 volts to begin with.

dont put the blame on me.

i saw in an old schematics book, a trafo 220/270v and a full bridge using 300v rated diodes,and mentions that dc voltage is 300v

Well, I can't explain that. If you've got 270 volts RMS, that's 385 volts peak.

Old Chinese proverb: If you believe everything you read, better not read.

Reactions: IanP and FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

IanP

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
dont put the blame on me.

i saw in an old schematics book, a trafo 220/270v and a full bridge using 300v rated diodes,and mentions that dc voltage is 300v

Your engineer’s sense should whisper into your ears that something is not right !!!
:wink:
IanP

that whisper became post, asking if i should follow the schematic or your opinion !!
in the end, it became a tv series with ancient greek warriors singing chinese proverbs !! ha ha !

Let us know how that 530 volt power supply with 400 volt diodes works out for you.

400 V diodes unless with regulated Voltage will be Chic=ken fries ones a 530 V touches it

Status
Not open for further replies.