Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

diode damage [question]

Status
Not open for further replies.

No one

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
diode damage

Hello Everyone;
What happens if a diode be damaged? Short circuited? Open circuited? etc.?

If a diode is damaged electrically, sometimes it will be either short-circuited due to junction melt-down or open-circuited due to bonding wire fused off. In the latter case, some explosion might occur, thus, to prevent the danger, some flame-proof test is to be performed.

No one,
According to the document "Failure Mode, Effects, and Criticality Analysis (FMECA)" published by RIAC (formerly RAC), the distribution for a general purpose diode is as follows:
. Short 49%
. Open 36%
. Parameter Change 15%
The distribution for a rectifier diode is:
. Short 51%
. Open 29%
. Parameter Change 20%
The distribution for a small signal diode is:
. Short 18%
. Open 24%
. Parameter Change 58%
According to the document MIL-HDBK-338-1A "Electronic Reliability Design Handbook", the distributions are as follows:
. Short Circuits 75%
. Intermittent Circuits 18%
. Open Circuits 6%
I use the RAC document, because its database is newer.
The MIL-HDBK-338-1A can be downloaded for free. It is large (about 2" thick, double sided. The RIAC document is not free. I think it costs about $40 US.
Regards,
Kral

No one

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Both Kral and yjkwon57 are right, one with literature, one with experience.

I myself from my experience agree that there are 3 types of dead diodes:
- short circuit (most common)
- open circuit,
- unstable parameter: voltage drop, reverse current, diode noise, ... change suddenly or intermittently. However, this type of dead diode is rare, and often happens to the low-quality diodes.

nguyennam

No one

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hello Everyone;
Can anyone, please, upload related free document or email it for me?

No one,
All non-classified military documents, including MIL-HDBK-338-1A, may be obtained at
. h**p://assist.daps.dla.mil/
The site was down at 9:00 EDT. If you are not succesful, keep trying
Regards,
Kral

The phrase "burns out" is too vague for circuit analysis from a safety point of view. The effects of a diode shorting are quite different from the effects of a diode opening up.
Regards,
Kral

Status
Not open for further replies.