Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dimmer switch without a microcontroller device HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

animehunter1234

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
microcontroller dimmer switch

we are having problem on how we will configure the remote control for adjusting the brightness of the LED... can anyone help me how can you set that by using a tv remote control?

led pwm dimmer microcontroler

You can use a DTMF Encoder/Decoder. I assume you already have your remote control.
Using the DTMF chip will generate up to 16 different frequencies. You can use them all for the brightness levels or whatsoever you want.

I hope you find this useful.

microcontroller for led dimming

I think a microcontroller must be used. You want to use a TV remote, which outputs a digital pulse stream encoded into a typically 38KHZ carrier. Once this IR stream is detected, digital logic must be used to decode the result. Sure it can be done with individual digital ICs, but the circuit size would be huge.
If you don't want to develop the microcontroller yourself, then you have to adapt other people's existing work. For example, I could do this job by using X-10 lamp control modules. These are designed to dimm 110VAC light bulbs. The output from these modules is a chopped sine wave at 110V. Therefore, I would need to follow that with a rectifier and a filter to produce a DC voltage. Finally, I need to scale that DC voltage with dropping resistors to a level that the LED can handle. I can buy the X-10 lamp control modules and I can buy special remote to control them, so I do not need to design any microcontroller code. However, I am limited to certain special remotes and my dimming capabilities are limited to the step sizes provided by the X-10 stuff.

When a TV remote is used, the codes needed to be decoded and implimented to do the said job. For that a microcontroller is mandatory. For dimming LED' PWM may be implimented for which using a micro is an direct and easy approach. Good luck

Sorry but we are required to make it without microcontroller but anyways thanks for helping me...

but we are required to use an infrared technology... FOR DTMF, is it possible to send the low tones and high tones on an infrared controls?

FOR DTMF, is it possible to send the low tones and high tones on an infrared controls?

You will modulate these frequencies on the 38KHz of your IR-Transmitter. Then, at the receiver side you will demodulate them again before the DTMF decoder.

I hope this helps.
Good Luck.

You will modulate these frequencies on the 38KHz of your IR-Transmitter. Then, at the receiver side you will demodulate them again before the DTMF decoder.

How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back