Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digitally controlled light dimmer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

david.park

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.

I am a current student working on an electronics project. My professor has instructed us to go on the web and find a schematic on a digitally controlled light dimmer switch using a triac. After a few hours of searching I have found nothing that even remotely looks like what my professor is asking me to find. I was hoping someone on here would be able to direct me to where I can find such a thing.

What I know is that the circuit needs to contain a DAC, Optocoupler, and a triac. From what I understand the circuit is to be controlled by a bank of digital switches which feeds into a DAC to convert the digital signal into an analog signal. Then I am guessing that signal gets fed through an op amp then through an opto coupler which then is tied into a regular light dimming circuit.

If anyone knows anywhere where I can find more information on such a circuit I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks,
David

yes you use the following circuits thanks,
i think it may helpful
**broken link removed**

Last edited:

PWM is in deed superior, but not when a Triac has to be used! I think phase control is what is expected in this challenge.
Thannara123 - check your math! The figures you quote in the "Duty Cycle..." paragraph are quite wrong.

Brian.

Just to highlight :

Despite the title of above topic I sugested refers to PWM control. in fact. the Application Note quoted at that link does not really implements exaclly that kind of control.

+++

This may help **broken link removed**

Semitone is an open dimmer project and its the best I'm aware of. Crystal is a single channel dimmer, Diamond is a 20 channel (multiple types) multi-protocol dimmer running custom RTOS. The whole project gives in-depth knowledge about dimming, I've built and used more than half a dozen Crystal dimmers without any issues.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.