Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

digital signal processing with FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartekus

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I want to start DSP programming. i have kentnisse in VHDL.
should i first learn theory with starting a book like
"The Scientist & Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing"

or is it enough to start learning with a book like
"digital signal processing with FPGA"

thanks

Start with Matlab/Simulink. FPGA's have a lot of IP cores to implement DSP functions. You could also have a look at System Generator.

I think you need to have an understanding of DSP and an understanding FPGAs separately before you try and learn both at the same time. DSP is a fairly complicated subject by itself.

thanks for your answer.
maybe it is not place to ask but, i didnt want to open new topic, do u know, what is the role of DSP in power electronics?

"power electronics" as in Power Supplies, or Power Drives (for motors f.i.) ?

Firstly, look at signal graphs, they both represent the DSP algorithm
and can be equal to the DSP unit structure, i.e. addition, multiplication, delay nodes are mapped to
adder, multiplier, register respectively.
Secondly, Power electronics is rather slow to be controlled by FPGA, where the parallel algorithms are usually implemented.
It would be better to do this task in the DSP processor and even on the simple microcontroller.
I.e. here the algorithm is implemented sequentially.
As you want, you can implement it in Xilinx Microblaze.

my mistake, i should correct my question, what is the Role of Digital signal processing in Power electronics(converters, inverters, power supplies...). If i want to work in future with power electronics, do i need to take that course, digital signal processing?
i would like to do it not with DSP kits but with microblaze.
thanks

what is the Role of Digital signal processing in Power electronics(converters, inverters, power supplies...). If i want to work in future with power electronics, do i need to take that course, digital signal processing?
i would like to do it not with DSP kits but with microblaze.
thanks
DSP is usually the digital implementation of analog electronics tasks.
In Power electronic you can measure precisely alternated currents to force the control of , say, electric motor by some algorithm.
For such or similar task you need the computer power much less than 1 mln operations per second.
Therefore, any microcontroller would do your limitations.
Microblaze is rather far from the convenient programming and debugging comparing to other usual microcontrollers.
The exclusion is the mission critical application like Mars robot, where reliable FPGA is of demand.

In my view .....In power electronics also signal processing concept like sampling theorem , filter aspect as as same in case of convertors or invertors or power controlled devices so DSP is used in PWM generator, measurement and sensing in power electronics too....

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back