Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital oscilloscope Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
adc oscilloscope

:x IT seems that I could not visit monnoliv's websit too.I even could not visit www.Bitscope.com from China Mainland.I will try to use a PROXY,I hope that could made something help.

pc based oscilloscope schematic

Try this: **broken link removed**

gameboy oscilloscope

2monnoliv:
Hi,
my oppinion:
1) It is recommended to add pull-up resistors for JTAG.
2) CP2101 is more simple than FTDI
3) The trigger scheme should be implemented in CPLD
I made DSO with almost the same architecture.
EPM3064-7 was not fast enough. I was forced to use
2xEPM3032-4 (one per channel).
My project was not completed.
Time(money) was over ;)
Regards,
S

jyetech pcb

What do you have in your mind?
How could we help?

dso schematics

Hi All,

Im not an expert but after browse all the DSO projects in the net I came to the following:

- the best option is to replace FIFO+CPLD by a FPGA with internal RAM.

Cheaper ex.Altera ACEX1K ~100Mhz RAM 3x512bytes U$S12
Faster ...can do trigger

- use a full differential OP at the input of the ADC is better (better noise relation).

Regards,
Martin

PS:(Even although there is not too much info yet, there is a good site with a DSO project not listed in this post **broken link removed**)

adc for oscilloscope

Do you have active link about this project link?

johann glaser dso

monnoliv said:
Try this: **broken link removed**

any english translation for this??

Also fpga's are not difficult to use and are really powerful. check here for a great intro to them

clock input for tlc5540

Make_Pic said:
I need any information about a stroboscopic method of the measurement for DSO! The stroboscopic method allows to measure Frequencies up to about 3 GHz.
RIS (random interval sampling) is good advanteges of scopes. Old HP scopes work with 500 MHz bandwith with 20 Mhz ADC. Its TDC (time to digital converter) based. Analog trigger start TDC then ADC clock stop it. At the TDC out DC voltage is proportional to trigger to clock delay. Low speed ADC convert this voltage to code proportional to delay.
I need information about TDC logic implementation in CPLD. Main problem is complementary design of TDC logic. Any shifts of comlementary clocks signal for high speed diode switch is degrade TDC perfomance. Any suggestion about comlementary sygnal vhdl implementation?

oscilloscope low cost project

Hi,everyone known which sample adc chip be used in tek digital oscilloscope:TDS220?

pc oscilloscope schematics

alphi said:
Hi,everyone known which sample adc chip be used in tek digital oscilloscope:TDS220?
I have some information, that TDSxxx oscillscopes do not have fast ADC, but for fast sampling it use CCD (charge-coupled device device) device, may be it have different name (not CCD) ....

p.s.
1) TDSxxx scopes is very good for her price !
2) It have very limited channel memory
3) Sampled signal is noisy

oscilloscope project

Thank you all of you for your advices.

In particular Skov, just some questions for you:
Why EPM3064-7 wasn't fast enought ?
Why do I use resistor to pull up signals for JTAG (didn't see in the docs)?

For Martingn: I'll try to evaluate your proposal, it seems vgood (I wasn't aware that there exist FPGA with RAM :sm15: and so cheap! ).
- use a full differential OP at the input of the ADC is better (better noise relation).
that's what I did, no?

Thanks joc_26 for your fpga advice, concerning translation of the site, I'll do it one day just for the DSO (waiting for a stable revision of the DSO schematic).

N.B: I've just calculate the budget for the DSO: about 250€ just for the components!

Bye.

usb 2 chanel osiloscope progect

monnoliv said:
Hi, look here **broken link removed**.
It's a two channels DSO (2x100MS/s with FIFO), I've just finished the schematics. I'm going to do the design of the PCB. The purpose of this project is to have a cheap self powered DSO on USB port. Open source design, comments welcome !
@+,
It looks like a very nice project, but it would be easier to make comments if you translated the site into English.
Not many of us understand French (including me), but we all understand English here at EDAboard.

how to make digital oscilloscope

Hi all,

Monnoliv, take a look at the cheapest FPGA Altera has with RAM included.ACEX 1K EP1K10 (3x512bytes)
You can find a nice project at http://fpga4fun.com that uses this chip including some trigger code.

Hopelly I will start a prototype soon...
Best regards,
Martin

oscilloscope frontend

Hi,

>>Skov, just some questions for you:
>>Why EPM3064-7 wasn't fast enough?

Did you write firmware for this project and check it in simulator?
Why do you think that EPM3064-7 is enough?
I think it depends on tasks for CPLD.
My project was fully completed and simulated
in the part of verilog program for CPLD.
The tasks for CPLD were the communication with outer FIFO, MCU, ADC,
settings for pre-history storage size, trigger levels and polarity,
mutual synchronization of the both channels and many others.
For my tasks EPM3064-7 was not enough fast.

>>Why do I use resistor to pull up signals for JTAG (didn't see in the
>> docs)?
There are a lot of docs on @ltera’s site ;)
See docs on ByteBlaster.

About memory size.
I think the memory 3x512bytes is not enough.
For example, DSO from Tek has 3.5KB memory.
Other DSOs have 100KB memory and more.
Regards,
S

dso-2150

alphi said:

I have opened a TDS2014 (4 channel 1gsps) to see what's inside. They use a pair of chips for every pair of channels. It seem that one chip is amplifier and sampling , and the other one fifo. The input section does not have many components around, all are passive. The only active one seem to be an ac/dc optomos switch. Anyway, the chips are proprietary designs, manufactured by National. Not even a single bit on information about them on the net. I've attached a pic with them.

/pisoiu

www.jyetech.com

Hi!

Why all oscilloscopes are limited +5v -5v ???
The original don't have these low voltage limit.

thanks
:eek:

spartan 3 oscilloscope

I assume you are talking about voltage input limits. Not all have this limitations, but high performance ones have. This is because high performance oscilloscopes have extremely wide input bandwith. In order to achieve this and a good linearity over entire freq. range, the input amplifier must have low input capacitance. High voltage protection circuits, up to hundreds of volts add undesired capacitance to the input. And besides that, it is unpractical. If you spend a lot of money on a 1ghz bandwidth DSO, mostly you'll measure high freq. signals, which are low voltage rather than what is on the mains. For higher voltages, 1:10 or higher rate divider probes are available anyway.

/pisoiu

build dso oscilloscope

Usually, the input chain of oscilloscopes has low resistance (50..150 Ohm) in accordance with low impedance of cable
which is connected to oscilloscope. The dissipated power for input chain is limited.

avr oscilloscope project

Skov ??? I've seen on several DSO 1Meg of input impedance.

martingn, Concerning the ACEX 1K EP1KX0, if I've well understand the strucure of this device, it must be configured at each power on. How doing this with embedded processor, EEPROM? Do you have a schematics ?

Regards,

jyetech uk

Skov said:
Usually, the input chain of oscilloscopes has low resistance (50..150 Ohm) in accordance with low impedance of cable
which is connected to oscilloscope. The dissipated power for input chain is limited.
That is not true, normally the input impedance of oscilloscopes is 1 MΩ || ~10-100 pF.
Using 1:10 probes, the input impedance is 10 MΩ and the capitance is lower than with 1:1 probes, with 1:100 probes, the input impedance is 100 MΩ and the capitance is even lower than for 1:10 probes.

DSO's like Tektronix TDS 1000 & TDS 2000 series for example has an input impedance of 1 MΩ || 20 pF.

If you were interested in trasferring maximum power you should use low impedances for impedance matching, but with oscilloscopes and voltmetres you are only interested in transferring maixmum voltage, whitout drawing any current from the source, so the input impedance is usally >= 1 MΩ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back