Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital milli ohm source rquired

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokiri

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I require some design reference on digitally simulating resistance for a calibration source. I have to control resistance from 0 ohm to 1000 ohm in one milli ohm steps. Please let me know whether there are any application note or other circuit reference available.

Thanks.
Pokiri

Hi pokiri,

Your application belongs much closer to metrology field. What you want it's not easy to achieve. Bear in mind that you must provide special input guard circuit in order to maintains accuracy by minimising the effect of probe or cable leakage.

If I well understand you want one digitally controlled potentiometer in 1 mili ohms increment. You'll apply a voltage across the pot and then throgh the cursor, fed a DVM's input that you want to calibrate ?

If that you have in mind, we can find a better solution in order to avoid expensive and high accuracy resistance bridge. Please come back with an enhanced description of your application.

Regards,
Silvio

Hi Silvio,

You are right. What I need exactly is a digital Potentiometer with 1 milli ohm setp. I do not think that there is any ready made commercial digital pot is available with that accuracy. My application is to control the value of the resistence under software control for calibrating the RTD sensors.

If you have any suggestion please let me know.

Regards
Pokiri

Hi pokiri,

A good source of information is : **broken link removed**

For some ready made devices you can take a look at: **broken link removed**

or https://www.thermoworks.com/products/calibration/piecal521.html
Perfect for checking the accuracy of any thermocouple instrument.
Simulates any of the 8 most popular thermocouple types and millivolts.
For some hints about the thermocouple types : **broken link removed**

Look here in order to see how they succeed to manage with RTD sensor. You can find some formula, read carefuly:
**broken link removed**
You don't need a webDAQ/100 device. Look at the Mathematical details at bottom of page. You need only a good precision resistor for the known resistance values in the circuit, and also to choose a resistor rated for a low temperature coefficient (change in resistance with temperature). However, you don't need to rely on the resistor's labelled value and accuracy, you can measure its actual resistance with a good accurate multimeter (use one with at least 4.5 digits of precision).
See the additional wiring tips at the bottom of article.

and here as well: **broken link removed**

Regards,
Silvio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back