Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diffrence between pic 16f877 and pic16f887

Status
Not open for further replies.

thannara123

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hai friends and experts
i had get some good tutorials for learning pic programming .
But it refer only on pic16f887
But i need to start and i have one chip pic16f877a .
is the chip pic16f887 and 16f877a same ?
or what is the difference ?

there's some difference. however, it is best if you already know what you want, highlight it to us, then it's easier to narrow the difference.

example scenario: i need to sample analogue voltages from 10 different sensors simultaneously. then from there we can say that your PIC16F877A only have 8 ADC channels, so it's insufficient... but if you use PIC16F887, it will be okay because the PIC have 14 ADC channels.

however coming to you original problem, i havent test both the PICs, however generally i think what you learned from the tutorials (using PIC16F887A) you can just implement for use with PIC16F887 since both are from the same family (PIC16F) and both also have the same easy-to-program capability (have the same 35 single word instructions). but when it comes to hardware-capabilities (as explained about the ADC scenario) then you have to check with the Side-by-side product comparison.

have a look at Microchip's page comapring the two PIC16s
Side By Side - Product Comparison (PIC16F877 PIC16F887)

Hope this helps.

finally i concluded that programming technique of both ic (16f877a &16f887) are same expect ADC .
I neednt first to use ADC's of these Ic .
please give some example programs to beginning tha pic16f877a in c language

thankingyou

Hi,

What C compiler you wish to use ? (mikroC, Hi-tech, PICC ....)

Hi,

First you have to set ADCON0 & ADCON1 registers (see datasheet) and then call adc_read() function. (see help in mikroC for more details)
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.