Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differential to Single Ended with transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngguns21

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a RF switch that I would like to select between two clocks (125MHz and 150MHz). The clocks are both LVPECL signals, 100ohm diff pairs. The SP2T inputs are 50ohm single ended.

Can I use a balun for the Diff to SE transform?
What kind of termination would I need on the diff pair side? 100 ohm resistor?
W
What is going to happen to the signal level at the 50 ohm side?

Attachments

• Balun.jpg
    Balun.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 338

RF transformers are often used for this purpose for RF ICs. They can also be used for various logic families, so long as you respect the needs of the biasing and impedance matching on both ends.

For interfacing a 100ohm diff pair to 50ohm SE, use a 2:1 transformer. The 50ohm on the SE side will present the required 100ohm on the diff side, but only at high frequencies. IIRC the outputs of LVPECL need external DC biasing as well. Using a center tapped transformer might make this easier.

That is what I thought. And to be clear, the 100 ohm diff pair would be connected to the side of the balun with the higher turns ratio? And no resistor is needed for termination on either side of the balun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back