Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differential Signaling SI Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonys

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was having a hard time discussing with my other colleague on differential signaling deskewing issue.

There are two deskewing method for differential signaling, a big 'U' and a series of small serpentine routing.
For 1Gbps signaling, I suggested not to use 'U' for deskewing although it saves space and time for routing, as it would impose reflection to the signal, but I hardly got any info to back me up on this statement.

They thought jitter plays a more important role than impedance mismatch, since the differential signals are terminated with a 100ohm and that such short distance (within 2mm) impedance mismatch won't cause any serious reflection problem.

So my question here is how are we going to define a standard for these:
1) What is the worst tolerable impedance mismatch?
2) What comes first for deskewing, jitter or impedance mismatch for differential signaling case?

Hi Nelson,

Deskew is trying to maintain differential pair in the same length. This is to avoid common mode signal and potential EMI issue.

To answer your questions:
1) Normally +/-20% tolerance is acceptable.
2) As I stated in above.

Hope these help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back