Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differential equation in simple RC-circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkfeffy

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I know this should be obvious, but there's something I am just NOT getting.

Imagine a simple series RC circuit with a DC source as shown in the attachment. As can be seen from the picture, I have solved the differential equation in capacitor current in the time domain. In order to be able to solve the problem, I have assumed that dE/dt = 0 as this is a dc source.

What I wish to know is why can't I take the Laplace transform of both sides of the equation (*)? I know that L(0) = 0, so this would give a bogus equation (i.e. I(s) = 0, which is wrong). But if my equation (*) is right, then why can't I use the laplace transform of both sides at this point?

From textbooks, I read that the DC source is considered as a step input, thus in the Laplace domain, this would be E/s. So again, what is wrong with equation (*)? And why do I get the right answer at the end?

Again, as I said, I think this should be obvious, so please don't hesitate to point out trivialities.

Thanks for your understanding.
e.

Attachments

• simple RC circuit.png
    simple RC circuit.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 170

The shown differential equation solution is correct for a step function input, but not for a DC source. For the latter, steady state would be already reached at t=0 and the assumption VC(t=0)=0 incorrect. To correct the circuit, you need to add a switch, that is closed at t=0.

The shown differential equation solution is correct for a step function input, but not for a DC source. For the latter, steady state would be already reached at t=0 and the assumption VC(t=0)=0 incorrect. To correct the circuit, you need to add a switch, that is closed at t=0.
Thanks for your reply. Assuming I add a switch that is closed at t=0, why is it not possible to take the Laplace transform of both sides of the equation labelled (*)? Thanks again.

darkfeffy,

What I wish to know is why can't I take the Laplace transform of both sides of the equation (*)? I know that L(0) = 0, so this would give a bogus equation (i.e. I(s) = 0, which is wrong). But if my equation (*) is right, then why can't I use the laplace transform of both sides at this point?

What says you can't? From your equation(*), we get (s*I-E/R)+I/RC= 0 . Solving for I we get, I = E/[R(s+1/RC)] . Taking the inverse LaPlace gives the equation you seek.

Ratch

darkfeffy,

What says you can't? From your equation(*), we get (s*I-E/R)+I/RC= 0 . Solving for I we get, I = E/[R(s+1/RC)] . Taking the inverse LaPlace gives the equation you seek.

Ratch

Thanks Ratch. I knew I was being stupid somewhere. I totally forgot about the initial capacitor current. Problem solved.:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back