Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differential Amplifier resistor precision, gains error

Status
Not open for further replies.

karbiuch

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I made simply simulation for difference op amp. In simulation I am using resistors: Rf=10k, Rg=1k, so gain is 10. When I change value of one resistor I have error on output. I know, this oamp is very sensitive to resistors tolerance. For example, in ideal world:

R1=1k, R2f=10k, R3=1k, R4f=10k, In+=50mV, In-=0mV, Vout is = 500mV

but for R1=1010 ohm, Vout is = 499,54mV,

Are there any methods/equation to calibrate such amplifier? I know the input voltage and output voltage so Can I determine the actual value of the resistors (gains for In+ and In-) ? Of course I can buy a monolithic amplifier, or precision resistors. However, the difference in resistance will always occur. After all, the gain error (resistors) is always the same, so the fault must be constant.

Hi,

A resistor mismatch causes a common mode suppression error.
The best solution is to buy an difference amplifier with built in trimmed resistors.
The next best solution is to buy two trimmed 1:10 resistor pairs in one case.
The next best solution is to buy single resistors with high accuracy.
I don't think that manual calibration using a pot is a good solution, because you may expect drift with time, vibration and temperature.

Klaus

I presume you are using the difference amplifier for a reason. In this case the incomplete common mode rejection is usually the worst effect of resistor mismatch. In contrast to a simple gain error it can't be compensated respectively calibrated.

Thanks for response. I tried to use ad623 (monolit instrumental oampm single so8) and differential oamp with resistors 0.1%. I had similar errors in outputs. I need better precision. At the output i have:

Vmeasure | Vtheoreticall | error(Vm-Vt)
0.11 | -0,54 | -0,44 mV | 580% (!!)
3.84 | 5.04 | -1.2 mV | 24%
22.68 | 24.62 | -1.94 mV | 8 %
95.72 | 97.96 | -2.24 mV | 2,5%
120,86 | 122,32 | -1.46 mV | 1%

The closer to the 0mV, the greater is error, of course, if it is expressed in percentage. I think error is more "constant" than percentage. Should I move the whole measuring by offset 1 mV? Do I fight with resistors errors or with some others errors? Amplifier has Vos typical 50us .

First I had 1% resistors. The error at 0V was 1mV. Now I am using 0,1% resistors and error is ~0,5mV at 0V. It is better but not satisfactory. I tried to use potentiometer 100ohm and two serial resistors: 9,09k 0.1% + 820 0.1% resistor. The results are better, but the system is flowing with time. Setting the potentiometer is troublesome. After all, the gain error is constant. So it seemed to me that I could somehow reduce errors. I am use differential oamp becouse I measure voltage from -2.5/2.5 with ADC. Differential Amplifier is shifted by precision Vref 2.5V. I measure Vout relative to Vref. The results I have given are measured with a precision multimeter, these are not readings from the ADC.

Last edited:

Hi,

Show us your complete circuit. With power supplies.

You say you have a differential amplifier...thus has two inputs, but you show one only.
Show us both input voltages.

And give the resistor values.

To find out the error source I recommend to draw a chart with diff_input vs output_voltage.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.