Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differential amplifier gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sambhav_1

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

i am lookin for designing 100MHz bandwith diff. amp but I am getting this kind of gain plot. I want to know why is this peak coming and how can i eliminate?

1625942697094.png

1625941845039.png

Last edited:

The differential input signal is the difference between the two inputs which in your case is 0. You only change the common mode level of the 0 amplitude input signal.

Set two voltage sources to, for example, 0.5 V AC amplitude and whatever DC level you have. One should have 0 degrees phase and the other 180 degrees.

This means that your input signal will be 0.5-(-0.5)=1 V in amplitude.

You don't show which output signal is used to plot the gain, we can just guess that it's a single ended output, resulting in relative large common mode gain. You should use output voltage difference instead.

The differential input signal is the difference between the two inputs which in your case is 0. You only change the common mode level of the 0 amplitude input signal.

Set two voltage sources to, for example, 0.5 V AC amplitude and whatever DC level you have. One should have 0 degrees phase and the other 180 degrees.

This means that your input signal will be 0.5-(-0.5)=1 V in amplitude.
with this, how can i check my differential gain? i need 15dB differential gain. so should i check like this, amplitude at output/amplitude at input and converting it into dB.

HI,

differential_gain = differentail_output / differential_input

where:
differential_input = (IN+) - (IN-)
differential_output = (OUT+) - (OUT-)

Klaus

Thanks Everyone,it helped.
I have one more question related to differential amplifier design,

I am trying to Find SNR in ltspice but there is only noise analysis.
so i am thinking to calculate signal and noise power seperately. I have calculated the nosie (uV/sqrt Hz) over the frequency range (nearly60dB)
I am confused with the signal power. SHould i do transisent sim with sine wave and calculate the power?

Best way is probably to refer the noise back to the input and compare with the expected input signal.

Since you have a certain gain your output signal depends on the input signal amplitude and your SNR will only be valid for a certain input/output amplitude.

No need to run a transient. Run an AC to see your gain.

Note that your units for the noise is a bit strange. When you "calculate" noise over a frequency band your unit won't be V/sqrtHz. Also you mention that it is 60 dB, dB is unit less and that result doesn't make sense.

Best way is probably to refer the noise back to the input and compare with the expected input signal.

Since you have a certain gain your output signal depends on the input signal amplitude and your SNR will only be valid for a certain input/output amplitude.

No need to run a transient. Run an AC to see your gain.

Note that your units for the noise is a bit strange. When you "calculate" noise over a frequency band your unit won't be V/sqrtHz. Also you mention that it is 60 dB, dB is unit less and that result doesn't make sense.
I am getting this noise plot, 60 dB was coming from 20log(Anoise)
. [IMG alt="
\mathrm{SNR_{dB}} = 10 \log_{10} \left [ \left ( \frac{A_\mathrm{signal}}{A_\mathrm{noise}} \right )^2 \right ] = 20 \log_{10} \left ( \frac{A_\mathrm{signal}}{A_\mathrm{noise}} \right ) = \left ( {A_\mathrm{signal,dB} - A_\mathrm{noise,dB}}\right ).
"]https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/m...f2fbec646247d05d7d35efc260be9d2aa1bed3d[/IMG]
i am little confused now. Am i doing till the abeve step correctly?

Thanks
1626193762386.png

Okay then I understand where you got it from. The unit in this case is dBV, when you take 20log10(Volt) your unit is not dB but dBV.

But I would stop earlier in the equation, you have A_noise, just find A_signal and you're done.

Okay then I understand where you got it from. The unit in this case is dBV, when you take 20log10(Volt) your unit is not dB but dBV.

But I would stop earlier in the equation, you have A_noise, just find A_signal and you're done.
Thanks martinl,

In the schematic shown, i am planning to use cs stage with source degeneration to increase linearity.But as expected my gain is reducing. ANy suggestion on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back