Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differential amplifier design

Status
Not open for further replies.

serma

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi i have a doubt in designing differential amplifier, generally we will be designing the W/L ratio of diff amplifier in large, what is the reason behind this.... what happens if we increase the length in pmos diff amplifier?

Hi serma,

As far as i know, W and L of differential input pair will be consider by some following specifications:
1. W/L is large to increasing gm, so it means that gain also increases.
2. L need to be small, and W to be large to minimize device offset: Vos is ~ 1/(W*L)

Normally, depend on the gain and offset requirement, you will consider the range of W/L and W*L to get the answer: W=? and L=?

Hope this help!

Reactions: butchi

butchi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I am assuming you are using a PMOS current mirror for the differential and NMOS for the amplification together with a current source.

Remember: your PMOS should be larger in Width than your NMOS.

n=Kn/Kp

Wp=nWn

Last edited:

Hi i have a doubt in designing differential amplifier, generally we will be designing the W/L ratio of diff amplifier in large, what is the reason behind this.... what happens if we increase the length in pmos diff amplifier?

Operating at large W/L pushes the diff pair towards weaker inversion which is the OP region of highest transconductance efficiency (for a given current). Increasing L will in general reduce the intrinsic bandwidth of your devices but if you do not have a stringent speed requirement then there are advantages in choosing longer devices (e.g. increased gds). As already noted above large W/L (or large L for that matter) also tends to increase area which has a positive impact on both matching and noise. Matching determines your random voltage offset but also your supply rejection...

thank you frnds, hope this helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back