Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIfferent types of PCB boards in terms of design

Status
Not open for further replies.

victoryrez

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I have a question about different types of PCB in terms of designs..

Can someone explain me them and what they mean? eg: ATE, load boards, reference boards, eval boards etc... and what are they used for?

Hi,

ATE (Automatic Test Equipment) Boards: Every Chip gets manufactured must be tested for Performance, characteristics and application. The testing is done by test equipment. U need PCB to Interface the Chip with Test Equipment and u need circuits for IC operation. ATE board has a test chip, circuits associated with the chip. Finally, ATE board is docked with test equipment. test equipment send test signals and receive response signals from the chip. all these communications are through ATE board. these are automated by programs(vc++ or VB....).

Load Boards: ATE boards can be classified into Probe Cards and Load boards. Probe card is a board used for wafer level testing. Load board is used to test the IC after it gets packaged as above said.

Eval Boards: Evaluation Boards are bench boards. Before they going for ATE boards, every IC is tested for its functionality and characteristics in Bench board. if they need any modifications, they can change and debug. the reason that they are not going directly to ATE board is ATE board designs are too costly.

Hope, u can understand the above one....;-)

Thank you so much Mr. SRP..

That helped me a lot.

One more question, what about reference boards? Also, how would a market level board be described? Like say a computer motherboard.

I don't know exactly what is meant by reference boards. Of my experience it may be a sample board or TEMPLATE for another board of same kind. This board may be referenced for other boards which are of same type.

Market level board are described as COMMERCIAL board or PRODUCTION board. Some others call it as SYSTEM board.

Hi,
all are Printed circuit board only. the difference is only for what purpose it has to used. example bare PCB is used for small hobby project. it consist of only soldering pad available in market . reference pcb is if the pcb is is routed and no component are place on board that's called reference pcb. mother board are complex pcb used for higher end application.there will lot of process while creating PCB and design a PCB like mother board.

Thanks and Regards
Praveen Bhat

THanks SRP,
Thanks Praveen Bhat,

That was quite clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back