Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] different tesla coil arrangement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zak28

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is the difference between common tesla coils with only 1 high voltage capacitor and this arrangement with 2 capacitors?

bla.png

Hi,

It makes the shareholders nervous that the new models won't be ready in three months and they start hoping to get rid of Elon, I think.

Reactions: Zak28

Zak28

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
A Tesla coil schematic is in the menu of Falstad's simulator. It has just one capacitor.

Although we would expect theoretically a single capacitor is needed, a second cap could be for purposes such as:

* some aspect of power factor correction?

* capacitors in series create reduced Farad value as the designer experimented with circuit operation

* a capacitor in each wire adds slightly greater isolation between transformers carrying high voltage, or carrying very different frequencies.

* to reduce possibility windings come into contact with output stage at volt levels that could lead to arcing.

Reactions: Zak28

Zak28

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Capacitors in series can increase the working voltage. But at reduced capacitance as Brad said. From my experience keeping equal voltages on series connected caps. is not always simple. I couldn't say with authority why but if the idea is to increase voltage rating uneven charging could be a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Capacitors in series can increase the working voltage. But at reduced capacitance as Brad said. From my experience keeping equal voltages on series connected caps. is not always simple. I couldn't say with authority why but if the idea is to increase voltage rating uneven charging could be a problem.

Something I'm not sure about is if you have the benefit of increased voltage rating if there is and inductor between the capacitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.