Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differences between the layout in Custom Design and Semi-Custom Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

bala9383

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Difference between the layout in Custom Design and Semi-Custom Design?

Thanx in advance for the valuable reply

LAYOUT

Look at this:

It is "The Design Warrior's Guide to FPGA's". You can find an explanation, starting with page 42.
Hope it will be helpful to you.

Re: LAYOUT

bala9383 said:
Difference between the layout in Custom Design and Semi-Custom Design?

Thanx in advance for the valuable reply

i think it must be between semi-custom to full-custom design. Both of them are custom designs. Full-custom layout designs came from scratch. Even cell libraries are made in full-custom.

hi,
you can find the difference in ASIC book jacob sebastian smith.

Custom Design --- This means the complete physical design layout is done manually. Even the cells or libraries are done manually. This method is mainly used if NRE cost comes out to be very low.

Semi-custom-- Here, some part of the layout is done by EDA tool viz. ASTRO,Soc Encounter etc. and to get the optimized results we do it manually. The vendor gives the std. cells and libraries if the tech. needed for the design. Designer needs to be very proficient with the tool and it's good if he has good understanding of algorithm running in the tool

I hope it helps... you!!

I agree with nileshprasad..

Full-Custom : Physical layout is done by manually by using virtuoso( I prefer) or any layout design tool.

Semi-Custom : U will have std.cell lib & by using phsical design tools ( SOC-Encounter/Astro/Magma) P & R can be done.

guys....

full-custom: you have all the flexibility to create your own structures and polygons in the layout. example :standard cell

semi-custom: there are some preplaced structures in the layout; you have limited flexibity to add and remove structures. Example: sea-of-gates

I agree with srp... In full custom u have all the freedom to draw your layout.

LAYOUT

The latest post were the most correct ones...

FULL CUSTOM allows you to freely draw the polygons in the different layers in order to get the desired result. Freely actually means not limited by a pre-designed cell, but yes you must follow the design rules for the process you're working on...

SEMI_CUSTOM: Is the design based on pre-designed cell (actually P-cells, cells with parameters you can change) for the different components available in the fabrication process. The P-cells are all included in what is called the Standard Components Library and you must design by using the components from there. The only freedom degree you have is to modify the component size or other features by changing the component parameters... In the real world almost only the semi custom is used...

Custom Design ---
Complete physical design layout is from scracth. cells, libraries all done manually.

Semi-custom--
Cells generated by EDA tolls and block & full chip routing we do it manually.

LAYOUT

Hi
Semicustom design means, u will make use of Std cell libraries for ASIC design.

Reagrds Mohi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back