Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference of current and voltage biasing

Status
Not open for further replies.

malaganas

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

What is the difference of biasing a transistor with a dc current source at its gate instead of a dc voltage source?

Regards

Hi,

I´m sorry, I was not very clear before. I was more interested in differential pairs, I have seen different architectures where the gate of the biasing transistor is sometimes a dc voltage and sometimes a current source.

Can someone explain me the difference here?

Regards

Hi,

I´m sorry, I was not very clear before. I was more interested in differential pairs, I have seen different architectures where the gate of the biasing transistor is sometimes a dc voltage and sometimes a current source.

Can someone explain me the difference here?

Regards
If you use resistor, the tail current will be variable with temperature and bias condition of the pair transistors and also a voltage drop will occur across the resistor for nothing.If you use a current source, it will be independent from temp. and any extra voltage drop won't occur..

If you use resistor, the tail current will be variable with temperature and bias condition of the pair transistors and also a voltage drop will occur across the resistor for nothing.If you use a current source, it will be independent from temp. and any extra voltage drop won't occur..

Hi,

Yes current source should be. Now you achieve this current source with a biasing transistor.

My question is what is the difference biasing this transistor with a dc current and a dc voltage.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back