Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

difference between voice over IP and voice over LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

bangash

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi..
i want to know the difference between voice over IP and Voice over local area network.

bangash said:
hi..
i want to know the difference between voice over IP and Voice over local area network.
The way I see it, the only difference is in the name. One way or another it is VoIP.

Technically, voice over lan is not required to use IP as the underlying protocol. For example, on an ethernet lan you could use fundamental ethernet packets to convey voice data directly without using IP or any other higher level protocols.

As a practical matter though, sinip is correct: IP is the standard for conveying voice data on networks.

Voice over LAN is same than Voice over IP, but the concept "Voice over IP" is more broad, voice over ip you can see in net WAN, LAN, etc and in different protocols (ATM, SDH, ETHERNET, FDDI, etc)

I need layer three for traffic paquet of VoIP, but I need conected at switch L2.

ggg_lp
PD: excuse me for my english.

Voice over IP is same as Voice over LAN, the main difference is Voice over LAN is used in LAN networks using IP protocols whereas Voice over IP is used in any broadband stream, and lastly VoIP has many functionalities than Voice over LAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.