Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

difference between test bench code and original hdl code

Status
Not open for further replies.

rashmi.imhsar

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can someone tell me what a test bench actually is ? like I know that there is something called test bench code that is written to check the logic and flow of the code by verifying the output .

But modelsim does the same right? I dont understand the difference between test bench code and the original vhdl code. Can someone elucidate on this ?

Also steps to create a test bench code for my hdl code.

a testbench is HDL code - but it designed specifically for testing another piece of HDL code.
So you designed a memory block. How do you know it works? you write a testbench that produces a load of inputs and captures the output (and probably checks to make sure the output is what you expected).

Modelsim is just a simulator. It does nothing on it's own. It just provides an environment to run HDL code.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
okay :) but why do we need to simulate the test bench code ? y not just simulate the original code in modelsim ? the original full code also gives the output value and wave forms when simulated right?

and the test bench code is simulated just like how a normal hdl code is simulated right? or should I change any settings in modelsim before running the test bench code?

okay :) but why do we need to simulate the test bench code ? y not just simulate the original code in modelsim ? the original full code also gives the output value and wave forms when simulated right?

and the test bench code is simulated just like how a normal hdl code is simulated right? or should I change any settings in modelsim before running the test bench code?

Original code don't have any specific timing info on input signal High/ Low.

For example:
if you have reset signal you must specify in you testbench like

Reset <= '1';

wait for 10 ns;

Reset <= '0';

wait for 10 ns;

original code only say

reset <= '1'
do this
else
do that

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
ohh ok ok ... it basically takes care of the timing constraints that the hardware faces.

OK. so making a few modifications to the original hdl code gives the test bench code which should be simulated like how we usually simulate a normal code in modelsim right?

I read somewhere that I have to go to Design » Create VHDL Testbench . Where can I find this?

The testbench has nothing to do with the timing (unless its a timing testbench).

The module will have a set of inputs. If you dont provide data to those inputs, the design will probably provide no meaningful output.

So, going back to my ROM analogy from before - it will have a clock input and address input. If those are left unconnected (ie, you just load the memory module in modelsim) it will not provide a data output. You need a testbench to provide a clock and address to the memory, then you check the output.

The testbench is just more HDL code you write for yourself.

That was informative !

But, I just simulated the original code and got the output waveform as expected. So I do not need to use the test bench right?

If you got the results, then you must have created a testbench of some form, even if you drew the waveform yourself. Unless you have a magic design that has no inputs.

Or perhaps the OP used Modelsim force commands to stimulate their UUT?

Of course for a very simple designs like a counter this would be a viable solution as you only have to use two force commands to exercise the clock and reset inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back