Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

difference between KEIL in linux and windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

embpic

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello master
i am doing programming in windows but no experiance in Linux . so what is main difference in programming in linux and in windows.
and how to do start with in linux for keil.

thank you.

For the simple stuff yourC/ C++ programs should look exactly the same between Windows and Linux. That is, you write your program and it'll compile just fine on either OS.how you compile it may be a bit different, though, depending on how you have each machine set up.
When you start getting into graphics/GUI stuff (or drivers/kernel hacking,depending on which way you decide to go), that's when it becomes a little different, and your choice of library will dictate on what systems your program can compile and run.again.In terms of GUI programming.On Windows, most people use either MFC (old) or .net WinForms (new) for GUIs. On linux, you have a choice of gui-toolkits: GTK+, Qt, Motif (heaven forbid), FLTK, FX, Tk, wxWidgets etc... Of these, many are cross-platform, so you can develop programs which compile and run on both Windows and linux. However, the concept of cross-platform development tends to not occur to Windows developers. :sad:

Access to the hardware is totally different between Windows and linux, although there are a few cases where manufacturers have made a linux driver available which works the same way as the Windows driver. Experience has shown the OSS drivers to be of higher quality than proprietary ones, however.

There are also differences in the way the system handles processes, threads, sockets etc..
Finally, desktop services may be different between platforms: print system, notification system etc.

And to start with keil in linux,Its not a hard task.Just have a look here :-
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
ok and is there any feature regarding program security?
and is there any advantages in programming in linux?

- - - Updated - - -

thanx i have read the link you suggest. The whole thing from creating new project to Debug all things look like same.

About program security in Linux, i don't have knowledge about this.
And Programming advantages :- Linux offers open-source ("free") compilers and tools to do the job - Under Windows, in most of the cases, you'll have to pay for them, a lot perhaps (there are free tools, but generally the non-free tend to be somehow better, which makes sense since more people have worked for them in the past times - it is open source that's turning this thing upside down).
Plus, if you look at Linux (or any Unix system in general), you'll notice that it's tools and the whole environment offers - in my own point of view - a more "friendly" or easier-to-start place for coders than Windows, in which you'll need to do a lot of work in order to get a good coding environment that works fluently and has every tool you'll need at hand. These are only my thoughts, anyway. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.