Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference between image formats : bmp , jpg, gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

freezone

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
when i using Dos operating system . it can view images very good as software in window . this is exellent.

please tell me the diffecent beetwen format : bmp , jpg, gif ...
and how to view it in dos .

images code ?

hi,

the main difference in the file formats you mentioned is in the way that they save the picture information. for example in bmp format you save information about all the pixels, one by one. but i.e. in jpg format you some how compress the data in the pics using some standard algorithms and then save the reduced size. you can find many information on these standard algorithms on the web.

yours.

Reactions: oldroad

freezone

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

oldroad

Re: images code ?

please tell me "algorithms" all imagies format . i want it for images proccessing
( bitmap images v.s vector images ?)
thank a lot.

Re: images code ?

You need this Book

Miano J.(1999) Compressed Image File Formats-JPEG,PNG,GIF,XBM,BMP(264s).pdf

freezone

oldroad

images code ?

Hi Freezone,

GIF

GIF stands for Graphic Interchange Format and was standardized by CompuServe in 1987. The very first GIF format was GIF87a and saves images at 8 pits-per-pixel with a colour level of 256. Then in 1989 CompuServe updated the GIF format to include animation, transparency, and interlacing, which was called GIF89a. Apart from animation, transparency, and interlacing there is little difference between to two.

JPEG

The JPEG image format was developed by Joint Photographic Experts Group. JPEG's best feature is the compression, you can compact the image file to make it the size smaller (bytes). The problem with this format is that there is a trade-off details detail and size. Generally its best to save JPEG's at 50% compression.

Bitmaps

Bitmaps was invented by Microsoft (everyone's favourite company). The Bitmap format saves your image pixel for pixel, in other words, what ever you see on the screen before you save is what you see when you open the image again. The only drawback is that the file sizes can be extremely large, which may result in longer download/upload times

there are many Image compression algorithms/techniques. please checkout the following links for more information on the Image file formats:

Links:
1) http://philip.greenspun.com/wtr/img-format/
2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_file_format_summary
3) **broken link removed**
4) **broken link removed**

freezone

oldroad

Status
Not open for further replies.