Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference between Capcaitor and inductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

salem_sajid

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
difference between capacitor and inductor

how does a capacitor differs from an inductor in storing the energy

capcaitor

Inductor is much better in storing energy. Less leakage of energy because of more conservative way (integral of energy) of voltage force is being applied and more important less impedance discontinuity (inductor is wire) occurs in inductor physically.

deal inductor disconnected voltage

I am very sorry I might not agree with you. Because the energy is stored in capcitance through electrons and in inductor through magic magnetic field. So it is flexible to make capcitance with large mount capability and it is difficult to produce the huge inductor.

electrical machines like an inductor or capacitor

Interesting topic.

I recalled my lecturer mentioned that inductor keeps energy more efficient than capacitor (may be he referred to energy density). Inductor stores energy in magnetic field, whilst capacitor keeps energy in electric field.

My lecturer explained by referring to electric rotating/linear machine. He argued that most of them work based on the energy conversion between magnetic field and mechanical force (electromagnetic force). He said motion based on energy conversation between electric field and mechanical force is still less powerful. However, the advent of MEMs and NEMs might accelerate the development of micro-motor that works based on the energy conversion between electric field and mechanical force. For example, piezoelectric motor (if I'm not mistaken). Piezoelectric motors are devices that utilize the inverse piezoelectric effect, generating a
mechanical deformation as a result of an applied electric field. The periodic applied field generates a permanent driving force, capable of moving a load.

the difference between inductor and capacitor

Inductors dont like when you want to change its current imediatelly, capacitors dont like when you want to change it's voltage.
Because of that you can use big capacitors to store electricity, that can give you current when you need, without changing the voltage.
Similarry inductors can be used to stabilize current.

difference capacitor & inductor

Induction phenomena is the basic of electric machines....Induced magnetic field causes them to work...........since V=Ldi/dt.....so change in current with respect to time should be there ...........

In capacitors i=cdv/dt ........ change in voltage time wise produces current.......So in one change is current is there while the other change in voltage is there.......

My teacher told me that at microelectronics design....inductors are difficult to fabricate ....... no such problem with the capacitors :)

why voltage leads currents in inductor

I am not sure exactly what the question is asking, but, the energy stored in a capacitor is 1/2*C*V^2 and the energy stored in an inductor is is 1/2*L*I^2.

Secondarily, the energy stored in a capacitor is in the form of free electrons, whereas, the energy stored in an inductor is in the form of a magnetic field contained within a series of conductive loops which converts back to a current as the field collapses in accordance with Ampere's law.

Since the energy is a square function of voltage and current for capacitors and inductors, respectively, for pure storage purposes it depends on the voltages and currents across the cap or through the inductor. Energy storage in a very low voltage high current circuit might be best served by an inductor whereas a energy storage in a high voltage low current circuit would be served by a capacitor.

But practically speaking, large inductors can take up very large spaces, come in very limited selections, and dollar for dollar are a lot more per joule of energy stored due to the economies of scale of high quantity capacitor manufacturing.

electrostatic energy of inductor

The Cap stores Energy as a potential difference across it.
The Inductor stores Energy in its magnetic field.

inductor can be substituted by a short circuit

Also, if you apply a sinusoidal voltage wave form to a capacitor and an inductor, the current flowing through them will also be sinusoidal.

In a capacitor, the current sine wave will lag 90 degree behind the voltage sine wave.

In an inductor, the current wave will lead the voltage wave by 90 degree.

sinusoidal capacitor and inductor open short

Don't forget that an inductor stores energy as a result of the voltage and rate of change. Take away the voltage and you have no energy. Take away the rate of change and you have no voltage. Apply a voltage and you have the energy stored in a DC magnetic field.

how does an inductor store energy

and in some ways there is no difference in the way they act. at high enough frequencies the dominant element in a capacitor is the inductive path, thus making a capacitor *act* like an inductor. a capacitor (or inductor) will act like a resistor when operating at its resonant frequency.

Mr.Cool

inductor capacitor sl sc

hi

Capacitor is a passive electronic component which accumulates the charges and releases the charges
when the circuit requires.

Inductor is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of magnetic field.

difference btw capacitor and inductor charging

A good way to see the diference between Capcaitor and inductor, is think in their frequency response:
The inductor works like a short circuit (wire) in low frequency, while the capacitor works like an open switch (open circuit).
The inductor works like a open switch (open circuit) in high frequency, while the capacitor works like an short circuit (wire).

Good luck!

capacitor inductor difference

salem_sajid said:
how does a capacitor differs from an inductor in storing the energy

Capacitors stores energy in electric field format.
Inductor stores energy in manetic field format.

Thanks

inductors at high frequencies act like shorts?

i agree with chinara
that the energy is stored in capcitance through electrons and in inductor through magic magnetic field. So it is flexible to make capcitance with large mount capability and it is difficult to produce the huge inductor

inductor stores magnetic energy in the form of

I'm also interested in this topic.
But I can't grasp the difference in storing the energy.
Most participants have told only about leading or lagging,electric field or magnetic field.
But not in the difference.
Is there anyone who can explain clearly,exactly?

inductor current leads

An inductor is an energy storage device. It can be as simple as a single loop of wire or consist of many turns of wire wound around a special core. Energy is stored in the form of a magnetic field in or around the inductor. Whenever current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. By placing multiple turns of wire around a loop, we concentrate the magnetic field into a smal|er space where it can be more useful. When you apply a voltage across an inductor, a current starts to flow. It does not instantly rise to some level, but rather increases gradually over time. The relationship of voltage to current vs. time gives rise to a property called inductance. The higher the inductance, the longer it takes for a given voltage to produce a given current. Whenever there is a moving or changing magnetic field in the presence of an inductor, that change attempts to generate a current in the inductor. An externally applied current produces an increasing magnetic field which in turn produces a current opposing that applied externally, hence the inability to create an instantaneous current change in an inductor. This property makes inductors useful as filters in power supplies.

A capacitor is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of an electrostatic field. In its simplest form, a capacitor consists of two conducting plates separated by an insulating material called the dielectric.

It is difficult to fabricate inductors onto integrated circuit (IC) chips. Fortunately, resistors can be substituted for inductors in most microcircuit applications. In some cases, inductance can be simulated by simple electronic circuits using transistors, resistors, and capacitors fabricated onto IC chips.

inductors disconnect voltage spike

Some practical examples on "storing" energy.
To store energy in a capacitor we must use voltage source. Capacitor 2F charged to 1V is storing 1Ws of energy. After charging we can disconnect voltage source and use energy some time after considering the dielectric has low losses. Specially designed huge capacitors (together with recharging circuitry) are used as temporary voltage sources.
To store energy in a inductor we must use current source. Inductor 2H through which flows current 1A is storing 1Ws of energy. Current source must not be disconnected if we want to store energy. This method is impractical if we intend to "store" energy for longer period. Imediatelly after we disconnect the current source there will be huge voltage spike on inductor and maybe some breakdowns. The fact that inductor stores energy in magnetic field is usefull in switching regulators for example.

difference between inductors and capacitors

hi.
you know that the capacitors and inuductors are the storage elements. The capacitor stores the electrical energy and the iductore stoeres the magnetic energy.
you should know that the noise from copacitor is low than iductore.

capacitor inductor differences

V=Ldi/dt,and I=Cdv/dt,it is Difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back