Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

difference between advance 8051 MCU and other advance controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junus2012

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear friends

I am using AT89C51 controller from Atmel, as you know this MCU is compatible with the standard intel MCU,

because of the memory and in/out limitation for the projects I am intending to do, I am thinking to shift to more advance microcontrollers... one of the options I have is the ATmega2560.

in the same I am thinking why shifting to such controller while there are modern 8051 controllers with comparable features, like C8051F020 from silicon labs corporation.

and here I want you please to help to find the answer,

and the question is, why shifting to other micrcontrollers while there are modern 8051 with high capability ??

Please I am looking for your discussion

what do you mean by "high capability" ?
you can use 8051 for simple and slow processed programs. but if you want something more you have to change your microcontroller taste.

if you understood my question well, i also mentioned that there are modern 8051 controllers which they are fast and have big memory, in this case why one think to shift to another type microcontroller ???

what do you mean by "high capability" ?
you can use 8051 for simple and slow processed programs. but if you want something more you have to change your microcontroller taste.

I've never heard about modern 8051. as far as I'm concerned 8051 has low level architecture when we want to compare it to AVR or PIC. also these microcontroller have more extra hardware that 8051 doesn't have.
for example ADC , pwm, rtc, ....

Dear Amin

I give you one example, take this 8051 from Silicon Lap corp. "C8051F020", it has 100 I/O and 64 kB of program memory and 4 KB of RAM,

when you have such 8051 microcontroller, why do we think we need avr for example ????

thank you

dear Junus
you probably right. the new 8051 that you mentioned has a powerful and fast operation. if I want to compare it to a commonplace AVR or PIC, it can have the same speed or extra hardware. but these day speed or MIPS or peripheral hardware is not the most important point in microcontrollers.
I used to work on classic 8051. afterward I worked on mega avr family. and now I'm learning xmega avr. new avr family are faster and have larger flash and ram and more ports are available. but that's not all. in new designs many times CPU doesn't need to interfere in many cases. DMA and event system allows micro controller to work with hardwar and transfer data without involving the cpu and it means saving the time.

dear junus, normal 89c51 series are low cost but lacks inbuilt interfacing devices like adc, iic etc. which will increase your product cost and time. megaavr and pic have large interfacing options but comparatively costlier.

if you are a beginner start learning with 8051 and shift to others. you will have more support to other controllers.

probably C8051F020 might be costlier and might came late to the market.

i was working with 8051 for the past 6 years and i had moved to avr and pic.
it saves time.

Dear friends

Thank you very much for your interaction with my post

let me summarize your comments as follow :

1. I have to deal first with 8051 as the first step in using controllers
2. even with advance 8051, it still lack to the peripheral devices such as ADC and so on

Actually, im working on that, im thinking to start working with ATmega AVR microcontroller , I would use C language for programming them

thank you once again
regards

Status
Not open for further replies.