Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference between acceleration and emulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakeshnunna

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

Can someone please tell me the difference between acceleration and emulation

regards,
Rakesh

If you can run your simulation (say, with VCS or NC-sim) on 100 CPUs, that's acceleration; If you run your system on a FPGA board, that's emulation. So I think the difference is how you speed up your simulation, by software means that's acceleration, by hardware means that's emulation.

Regards

I dont think using multiple cpus can only be called accleration. Porting the dut in fpga / acclerator will also save the same purpose. IMO the main difference between accleration and emulation is who is controlling the dut ,In case of accleration the dut is controlled software the clock_generation will happen in software , In case of emulation the clock generation will happen in hardware . With emulation we normally use signal genrators , logic analysers , or even silicon protos for application of stimuli and system building

Hi,

Emulation system are specially designed hardware and software systems that typically contain reconfigurable logic, often FPGA. ...

Hardware acceleration maps some or all of the components in a software simulation into a hardware platform specifically designed to speed up certain simulation operations. ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back