Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

diff btw bit and std_logic in vhdl

Status
Not open for further replies.

kil

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
std_logic in vhdl

Hi all,

whats the diffrence between BIT and Std_ulogic and Std_logic and how the bit and std_logic differe after the synthesis.

Thanks & Regards
KIL

vhdl std_logic

As i know,

Bit-0,1 only 2 values..
Std_logic 7 values..
how many values we model between 0 and 1 level...

std_logic values

As vinodkumar said, BIT has 2 values: '0' and '1'.

STD_LOGIC has 9 values: 'U', 'X', '0', '1', 'Z', 'W', 'L' ,'H' and '-'.

I know the meaning of some of them:
U = unknown (*)
X = collision - a multisource line is driven '0' and '1' simultaneously (*)
0 = logic 0 (*)
1 = logic 1 (*)
Z = high impedance (*)
W = (i don't know)
L = driven low weakly
H = drivel high weakly
- = (i don't know)

The values marked (*) are common y real logic simulation.

With BIT you use an ideal logic world, and with STD_LOGIC you have a more real behaviour of logic, and allows you to simulate tri-state signals.

I never heard about STD_ULOGIC.

The only difference I see between BITY and STD_LOGIC in synthesis is the 3-state generation.

bit to std_logic vhdl

always use std_logic and std_logic_vector...

vhdl std_logic x

Hi,

Which is the actual cases where we encounter to use all the 9 Strengths... does the Different Strengths tell the REAL strength of the signal but in digital design we always go with either 1 ,0 or high impedence right.. when we encounter the other states right weak 0, weak 1 states.... do this any thing to do with the noise margin of the CMOS circuit .......

Thanks
KIL

vhdl bit vs std_logic

No.

Weak states are like a pull up or pull down resistor. A weak 0 maintains its value ina a multisource signal until another source puts a strong 1, for example.

I'm not sure, but I think that in real FPGA internal circuits, a weak level is not synthesizable, multisource signals are not allowed, neither bidirectional lines, neither high impedance states.

Re: std_logic in vhdl

'U' --> Uninitialized
This is the default initial value for objects of type STD_LOGIC. If no initial value is specified in the declaration of an object, the object acquires value 'U' after the initialization of simulation.

'X' --> Forcing Unknown
'X' results if two or more opposing forcing values ('0' and '1') drive a signal of type STD_LOGIC.

'0' --> Forcing 0; also known as Strong logic '0' state.
'1' --> Forcing 1; also known as Strong logic '1' state.

'Z' --> High Impedance...High impedance state.

'W' --> Weak Unknown
'W' results if two or more opposing weak values ('L' and 'H') drive a signal of type STD_LOGIC.

'L' --> Weak 0; Weak logic '0' state.
'H' --> Weak 1; Weak logic '1' state.

'-' --> Don't care; Don't care state.

Regards,
Shriram Gaur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back