Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] diff between overlapping and non overlapping in fsm

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrax747

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi

what is difference between overlapping and non overlapping sequence detector finite state machine ??

I'm assuming you mean the difference between these:

overlapping:
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]001111011
detect 11
00-------
-01------
--11----- detect!
---11---- detect!
----11--- detect!
-------11 detect![/FONT]

non-overlapping:
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]001111011
detect 11
00-------
--11----- detect!
----11--- detect!
-------11 detect![/FONT]

Hi

I need practically a diagram and its explanation..for example you take 1011 .how do you draw a fsm for both overlapping and non overlapping sequence detection.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi

I need practically a diagram and its explanation..for example u take 1011 .how do u draw a fsm for both overlapping and non overlapping sequence detection.

Instead of asking someone else to show you how to do it. Why don't you instead try doing it yourself and show the work you've done and ask if you are doing it correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

out of curiosity just to see if it's easy to find information on sequence detection FSMs I searched for "sequence detector fsm" and found this link. They actually go into detail about how to design both types.

I'm really curious...Is there a problem with google search results in India, or is this just a case of being lazy/clueless?

The previous link was the fourth one using the search terms above.
Capture.JPG

Hi

It didnt get any information regarding oberlapping and non overlapping sequence detection.i didnt say here is no info for fsm. Please understand the question before speaking a word.its not about being lazy.eda board did nt helped me right frm my undergraduation or post graduation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi

It didnt get any information regarding oberlapping and non overlapping sequence detection.i didnt say here is no info for fsm.plz understand the question before speaking a word.its not about being lazy.eda board did nt helped me right frm my undergraduation or post graduation.

The point of getting a undergraduate degree and/or a post graduate degree is to learn how to analyze and develop the ability to derive solutions to problems.

If you can't write a simple FSM (after having obtained the degrees) then there is obviously a disconnect in your education and the real world application of theory. As it stands with a undergrad/graduate degree you should be capable of extrapolating the FSM design you require from the "101 end of sequence detector" (the FSM design described in my previous link) into either of the non-overlapping and overlapping sequence detectors.

Looking around some more there are a lot of sequence detector tutorials as this seems to be a standard beginner's FSM design lesson. So take one of those if you don't think the one I provided is any good and use that as the basis of designing the two types of sequence detectors.
The overlapping detector doesn't even need an FSM just a shift register with the input data and a compare function to detect the pattern.

I just reread your posts maybe you just don't understand the words overlapping/non-overlapping in the context of a sequence detector.

Here is an example of the possible ways of detecting the sequence 1011.

Code:
0[COLOR="#FF0000"]1011[/COLOR]011011 - detected
0101[COLOR="#FF0000"]1011[/COLOR]011 - overlapped detection (the 5th bit overlaps with the both the first detection and this one)
0[COLOR="#FF0000"]1011[/COLOR]01[COLOR="#FF0000"]1011[/COLOR] - non-overlapped detection with first detection, but would overlap with 2nd detection.

hi

what is difference between overlapping and non overlapping sequence detector finite state machine ??

Check this link for understanding the difference between them.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back