Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dielectric in circular waveguide

Status
Not open for further replies.

mauloftin

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, can you help me ?

I have dielectic in circular waveguide, can you tell me, how can I do matching for wideband good return loss ? Have some book, article or theory ?

Thank you very much

Could You be more specific?
Some techniques exists but depend on the function of the dielectric.
Is the dilectric an illuminator? Or is it used for size reduction?.
Generally speaking in order to reduce the discontinuity, the way ti match the transition from air to dielectric are:
1) smoot transition
2) stepped transition , 2 or more steps lambda/4 long each.

hello sergio mariotti

could you give me an example about the two methods? thx

Hi,
thank for your answer. It is for dielectric feed for parabolic antenna on the end of waveguide. Smoot transition is not good, and stepped - i dont know exactly, how can I find the best design ? And lambda/4 is it lambda in the waveguide or in the space or in the waveguide in dielectric (the diameter is the same as waveguide with "vacuum") ? A tried 3 stepped, but the find diameters is not so easy.

well, usually when We speech about wavelength (λ) We mean wavelength of a radiation flowing inside it's proper media. So we speech about λg inside a dielectric.
But since λ/4 steps gives often a large enough bandwidth, if You make a mistake and confuse λ and λg and the εr is small enough, the error should be not excessive.

From a mechanical point of view, the steps may be done by the help of a lathe machine.

From a EM point of view , a CAD like CST may help you on the design.
The CAD is not strictly necessary in order to design the transition between circular air waveguide to circular dielectric waveguide. The following should work without any CAD design:
3 or more steps λg/4 long each, linear spaced.

But I think it isn't enough. Because also the transition between dielectric feeder and free space should be taken in account.

mauloftin

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back