Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diagnosing a fault on a 18volt lithium Ion charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterhull

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I bought a used Wolf pole saw recently with an 18 volt lithium Ion battery and charger. The battery is fully charged but the charger is dead. I have checked that it is receiving 240 volts at the circuit board but there is no output. The battery has 6 cells in series.

The battery has 3 terminals labelled positive, negative and T. I guess the T terminal is something to do with balancing the charge. I have a sophisticated charger IMAX B6 AC which can be used to charge all sorts of batteries. I tried to programme it charge the battery but it came up with an error code ' connection error. I only used + and - terminals.

The IMAX charger has a balancing connection for charging 6 cells. I really need to advice on how to make up a connection system from my IMACS charger to the existing battery in order to charge it properly without error messages. Would appreciate any advice please.

Last edited:

Hi,
The battery is fully charged
I don´t understand what you expect the chargers to do ... with a fully charged battery.
I´d say they do a good job when they do nothing.

BTW: I guess the "T" terminal is a temperatur ensor.

Klaus

Hi,

I don´t understand what you expect the chargers to do ... with a fully charged battery.
I´d say they do a good job when they do nothing.

BTW: I guess the "T" terminal is a temperatur ensor.

Klaus
Thanks Klaus but the existing charger doesn't work and is probably I think is obsolete. I need to be confident that when the battery is discharged that I can charge it again hopefully with my imax charger.

I guess if could diagnose the fault on the Wolf charger I could use that but I don't have enough knowledge to fix it.

When I have used the Imax charger to charge Lipo batteries in past it requires a balance lead but I don't have a balance lead with this Lithium Ion battery.

The charger gives me a connection error message not a fully charged message. I therefore conclude that it needs an extra connection via the T terminal on the battery.

Hi,

you talk about several chargers now. Please clarify:
* How many chargers do you talk about.
* is the "existing charger" the "Wolf charger" or the "imax charger" or anotehr one?
(to avoid confusion I recommend to use one unique name for one charger)

"The existing charger does not work". So you bouth it as "defective charger", or you tested it (if so, how?), or you just guess that it is defective.

I´m relly confused. You say you "hopfully can use the imax charger" but the next sentence you talk about the "Wolf charger". Please choose which one you prefer, then let´s focus on this charger.

You say "The charger gives me a connection error message". Which charger? What setup/connections/battery state?

I recommend to go on step by step. Focus and discuss one problem per post.

Klaus

The Wolf charger came with the Wolf Saw. The Wolf charger is faulty.

As I have another sophisticated charger the IMAX I thought I may be able to charge the existing Wolf battery using this charger but this doesn't work when I connect the + and - terminals only. The battery has 3 terminals so it needs another connection to the IMAX to balance the charge I think

Hi

No answers.
I don´t know where your focus is.
No clear question.

I think you need someone else to discuss further.

Klaus

Since my last post I think I have found a replacement charger. No further help needed thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back