Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Development board with ATmega16/8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abhijith Yadav

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello people,
I am Abhijith from India, I am a complete novice in developing boards and stuff :-( . But, the group I am in has asked me to build a general purpose development board using ATmega16/8 that has options to include various shields as later extensions :cry: . The board should have an ATmega16/8 chip as the controller. I need the board to receive the data via USB from a computer and store it or process it in the ATmega16/8. It should have an option to switch between power from USB and a power supply. It should have an option to switch the board even with the above mentioned power options running. It should have a programming switch which will control the data flow and processes in the board. So please help me out as to where to start and what to do. i need to complete the task in 7 days. Even helpful material will do . I just need to know how to go about the work atleast in the next 2 days. Thank you!

Last edited:

Check the arduino boards, they do just what you need, of course you can buy them, but also you can build them from scratch.... (you don't need to program in the arduino ide, as all the bootloaders works with avrdude)

Also check the metaboard, a small USB development board with a atmega16 and the V-USB firmware for upload.

Can you help me out with info on how to make stuff by myself instead of buying the boards. thanks for the reply anyway!

Thank you for the help. Can you tell me what i the programmer that we must select in WinAvr. Is the bootloader ATmegas available in the shops enough to use directly with the USB interface

Last edited:

Is the bootloader ATmegas available in the shops enough to use directly with the USB interface

Yes, if you utilize an AVR with a hardware implemented USB interface, rather than a firmware implementation.

Consider using an ATmega16U4, ATmega32U4 or similar device in your designs.

Reference: USB DFU Bootloader Datasheet:

1. Description

The 8bits mega AVR with USB interface devices are factory configured with a
USB bootloader located in the on-chip flash boot section of the controller.

This USB bootloader allows to perform In-System Programming from an USB
host controller without removing the part from the system or without a
pre-programmed application, and without any external programming interface.

This document describes the USB bootloader functionalities as well as the serial
protocol to efficiently perform operations on the on chip Flash memories (Flash
and EEPROM).

BigDog

Can we implement the metaboard by replacing ATmega168 with ATmega16? Please mention the reason if it is not possible. If it is possible, please mention the changes that are to be made in the connections, if any! Thank You all for the interest you show :)!

Can you please help me find the bootloader for the above posted schematic. I am having issues finding out the bootloader for the schematic and also please comment as to whether the circuit works for the specifications i made! Thank you in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back