Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Determine the size of the frontend sampling capacitor in ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogworld

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am wondering for a 12-bit resolution ADC, how big of a sampling capacitor at the front end should be in order to surpress the kT/C noise and opamp thermal noise from the later stages?

Peoples used 6pf before, I think it is way too big. Any ideas?

Re: Determine the size of the frontend sampling capacitor in

If you are using sc sample and hold, noise may be the second issue. the first thing you need to consider is the cap mismatching. 12-bit cap mismatching may be a issue, need at least 0.001% matching requirement

Re: Determine the size of the frontend sampling capacitor in

Thanks for the note, are you talking about the cap matching for the MDAC in the pipelinen architecture? I think that will casue interstage gain error, but I think that can be corrected by digital calibration.

From the overall noise calculation, the sampling capacitor at the front end needs to be at least 3pf to suppress the noise below 12-bit level. Does the size of the capacitor sound right to you? Please let me know.

compare KT/C and quantization noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back