Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Detecting USB Device pluged in USB port

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmen_xwk

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have an arduino and 7 Port USB Hub. I want to make the USB Hub more smarter by adding an arduino to it.

What I'm trying to do is, whenever a device is pluged(offline or online) into USB Hub port, I want arduino to detect it. If anything is plugged in or not in any of these ports. Some devices can be working as plugged in means online(eg. pendrive), but some could be not working, like an offline printer, or a phone charging wire.

How can I detect this kind of this ? I think I would need sensors. But can a microcontroller do that alone ? I think not, so what should it need ?

Any ideas would help.

Thank you

Unless you make a custom board based on the USB hub, you're not likely going to have much success making your hub "smart".

The USB controller chip interface to the logic is where you want to check for what you are trying to do. Tapping into the USB connector signals will likely degrade the signaling on the cable enough that you will probably have problems with TX/RX of data on that USB port. But to connect to the USB controller chip you'll have to disconnect that interface from the PCB (as the PCB drives/receives the signals) to let the micro have exclusive access it. This is not something you want to attempt. There is a reason why there are micros with built in USB controllers, so the USB interface can be made "smart".

Utilising sensor will not solve the problems of yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.