Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Desoldering iron and replacement tips -- mix Radio Shack with Parts Express brands

Status
Not open for further replies.

lee321987

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I recently bought a desoldering iron from Parts Express (PE) -- model J-045-DS.
Then I bought a replacement tip at Radio Shack (RS).
I just wanted to tell you guys that the parts do work together, but there is one thing to note:
The threaded part on the tip that came with my PE desoldering iron, is about 0.95mm longer than the threading on the replacement tip i bought from Radio Shack. Which means that once i use the RS tip with this iron, i may get solder in the threads that will block screwing any future (longer-threaded) PE tips.
I suppose you could just heat the iron, and then screw in the PE tip, but then you'd probably have to heat it also to remove it... could be messy i guess.

The PE tips are about $9 for a pack of two, and the RS tips are only $2 for one tip.

If anyone else has any experience, or useful info mixing these parts, please add to this thread!

Part numbers:

Parts Express:
J-045-DS (iron)
JT-103 (tip)

Radio Shack:
64-2060 (iron)
64-2061 (tip)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor